mixers for my friend the adat.

reco

hey im wondering about mixers whats a good choice for a 2 adat setup(yes thats 16 tracks cant ya just smell the posibilitys) as far as sound quality and good features.
also im on a budget of $1500.00.
thanks

Mackie is a very good mixer in that price range.You should be able to purchase a 16 channel for that price, but I would recommend getting the 24 ch. 8 bus.Cost???I think between 2000.00 and 2500.00.Maybe cheaper by now.Its worth it cause you gonna want more.The extra eight channels also allows you to aux send your effects back to a channel so you can EQ the effect.

Bill LM Studio/Richmond

Those are all good selections. I wanted to add some info about the Mackie or any other 24 ch. 8 bus boards.Say you have 16 tracks of audio.With a sixteen channel board, you are limited to either inserting your effects processors directly or into a bus.At this point you have no control over the sound of the reverb other than the internal user programmable settings in the reverb or delay unit.With some extra channels open,you can route your aux. sends to a channel and have the ability to EQ, or pan the sound of the reverb which can create some really neat effects.Say you have three stereo reverb or delay units. That can take up six channels.It takes six aux sends to do this but now you have stereo effects that you can apply to any channel in your mixdown,control over the EQing of your effect, and still have all of your buses open at your disposal for punching in and punching out or what ever you want to use it for.
The Mackie forementioned above also has the flip switch to monitor output from the ADATS as well as input from mike line in.Another nice thing is that it has mix B which you can send entirely different 24 ch mix from your mix B outputs without disturbing your faders to your main mix.Sometimes we use this when my band is praticing in the studio, but we're in the middle of a project. We route it to mix B.
Of course It has many other uses for monitoring in the studio.I'm starting to sound like a rep. Hey, these are just some ideas that we practice. There are many different configurations possible.We're still experimenting and learning but I do know this setup works really well.I guess my point is, go bigger if you can afford to.Heck, were already looking for a bigger and better board cause were running out of room.Sorry about running my mouth.

Bill

i wouldn't go for an 8-bus board if i were you...save your money....alesis makes a very nice board called the Studio 32, which is actually a 16 channel board with switchable monitoring....in other words, you connect the inputs and outputs of the adat to the board and then you do your tracking from the direct outputs to the adat (you can actually track 16-tracks at a time!!) and then when you're ready for mixdown, you press a button and the recorder returns are routed to the faders and eq and everything so that you can mix and record your master.

another board that looks very nice is the Behringer 2442, which is a 24 channel 4-bus board...its more of a large format type board, but i think it would work well in your case....

Hey thanks guys this gives me alot to think about, oh hey im getting analog reel to reels insted of the adats im into analog alot and the prices are great on fostex R8's found one for $450...any info on r8's let me know.
Thanks

Back