Mixer/PC help

Alcheya

Hello, I appreciate there being a place that I could come ask questions about my issue.

I bought a Behringer 1002fx mixer, but I'm not quite getting the desired outcome and was hoping someone would help.

I have a samson mtr101 I'd like to be able to use for recording. I want to be able to monitor my voice and listen to the computer through my headphones (without delay, hence the mixer).

I've been able to successfully get both the computer and mic, while monitoring my voice, to record. So I can essentially sing over a track playing on my computer, both of them get recorded (as line in). I can also play just music, or I can play just my voice.

The problem is that I can't successfully find a way to monitor my voice and the computer, while only having the computer get just my voice back which sounds like it should be possible. It has Track in, Track Out, Main Out, Control Room Out, several channels for inputs.

I'm using onboard sound, MSI Z170A SLI Plus. Has line In, mic in, headphones/speaker, and 3 others for surround.

I tried testing different things, but I'm just not getting it.

Thanks in advance.

Here is a terrible paint diagram. I'm orange(and my voice), mixer is blue, computer signal (music/track) is red.
TerribleDiagram.png

Last edited:
Hey dude. You are totally right- this is possible.
What DAW are you using?

Also- can you put a picture of your Mixer setup? Or describe your routing more precisely?
My first guess here would be that you need to make sure the "2-TRK TO MIX" button is NOT pressed.

Last edited:
though- this is the mixer setup I would use. Tell me if it is what you did:

MIC --> Mixer input #1 (XLR)
MIXER MAIN OUTPUT --> Computer audio line in (via EITHER WHITE RCA OUTS->1/8" or Main 1/4" outs to 1/8")
COMPUTER Headphone output --> Mixer "2-track in" (via 1/8" to RED RCAs)
Headphones --> headphone output on mixer

"2-TRK to MIX" button NOT pressed.
"2-TRK to CTRL RM" button PRESSED

I would expect that would work.
If your mixer bleeds, though.. a stereo option can work.

I'm on a fairly new computer and haven't had a chance to set up much in terms of a DAW, I just got the mic/mixer and wanted to get it running. I'll probably go with Audition 3.0 or ACID 7 when I have a chance to transfer the licenses over from my other computer. As far as a setup, I just have wires everywhere and kind of scattered. XLR on mixer to Mic, 2x 1/4" left/right to 3.5mm cable, an RCA (L/R) to 3.5. 3.5 computer speakers are sending to Track In on the mixer. I have one 1/4" to 3.5mm on the line in, and one 1/4" to 3.5mm on the line in. Both gave varying results, but none of them with the same as the diagram. Using a pair of AT200 headphones to monitor my voice and the track coming from the computer.

this mixer, yes?
https://media.music-group.com/media...cts/P0572/1800Wx1800H/1002FX_P0572_Top_L.png?

and those buttons I mentioned.. how are they pressed? "2-TRK to MIX", and "2-TRK to CTRL RM"?

Yes, that's the Mixer, essentially a smaller 1202fx, or a basic 1202 with FX. I was testing your suggestion.

With that setup the following happens:

Top down only - I can hear my voice and Music. Both get recorded

Both up, I can hear my voice, but no music, only voice gets recorded.

Bottom down only, I can hear the music, but no voice, only voice get's recorded <-- This is kind of what I want, but I want to be able to hear/monitor my voice (with FX) live as well.

-----------------------

To boil it down further, I can not hear my own voice via headphone jack if the 2TRK to CNTRL RM is pressed down in any configuration.

Ah. I understand.

So - this is a probably mixer limitation.
The workaround with THIS mixer is to record mono, sending the return track to the other, non recorded side..

Essentially-- just send the LEFT main output to your computer. Your vocals are just dual-mono anyway, so nothing is lost.
Meanwhile.. only plug in the RIGHT input from your Computer.
You will only have your comp track in one ear.. but that should work, no?

Ah. I understand.

So - this is a probably mixer limitation.
The workaround with THIS mixer is to record mono, sending the return track to the other, non recorded side..

Essentially-- just send the LEFT main output to your computer. Your vocals are just dual-mono anyway, so nothing is lost.
Meanwhile.. only plug in the RIGHT input from your Computer.
You will only have your comp track in one ear.. but that should work, no?

It works, but it sounds pretty awful. I'm not expecting pro-quality sound, but it's really bad. :P I thought I did enough research before buying this mixer, but I guess not. It will be a long while before I can do anything about it, so I guess I just have to deal with recording both the track and my voice together. It will still let me record my guitar/singing, just can't record my voice separately. Thanks for your help m8. If anyone happens to come across this thread thinking of buying this mixer, just spend a bit more and get something different. Even cheaper boards of other brands can perform this function from what I understand.

If you go mono- it should be separate. And it should NOT sound any worse than going stereo.
The only downside should be having the track in one ear only.

I would be very surprised if the recording of your single mic sounds any different running in mono vs stereo.

I agree, obviously.
Better gear often simplifies things.
And that Scarlett box has monitoring built in.

But he should be technically capable with the stuff he has, no? If not asthetically ideal :)
People have done more with less!

Yea, I'll manage. I can get an audio interface eventually, but I needed the live monitoring more because I got sick of having to adjust so much, especially when recording guitar, only to find out it was too loud or quiet after the fact, having to scrap a perfectly good take.

"only to find out it was too loud or quiet after the fact, having to scrap a perfectly good take. "

WTF??!! ^ The mixer should give you SOME indication of the level being sent to the computer. The recording software IN the computer should give a similar indication. Seems to me Al' that you have missed a vital step in both your recording MO and larnin'!

Yes, you would do well to get an AI but not the 2i2. It is very good but IMHO there are better and better value. Steinberg UR22 is V good and gives you Cubase DAW software. AIs by Tascam are also good value.

But you need the software. Download the free Samplitude pro X Silver. Or Reaper (but I have that and find Sam easier) Or even Audacity to start with.
Set the mic level such that the meters in the DAW software are blipping at around -18dBFS (means Full Scale) and peaks no higher than -8dBFS. The subsequent play back MIGHT be too quiet for your purposes but there are always ways to boost it digitally.

Dave.

"only to find out it was too loud or quiet after the fact, having to scrap a perfectly good take. "

WTF??!! ^ The mixer should give you SOME indication of the level being sent to the computer. The recording software IN the computer should give a similar indication. Seems to me Al' that you have missed a vital step in both your recording MO and larnin'!

Uh.. Right.. I didn't have a mixer.. I just got it.. so I could live monitor what was being sent to the computer. I was recording directly from a shoddy Nady stage mic to USB (via a USB to XLR piece.) Even looking at the wav, it's hard to determine whether your voice is just a tad to low, or if the mic was positioned badly, etc..

I have both ACID and Audition for my DAW, but mainly use ACID because I was used to Sony Vegas already and it has a somewhat similar setup. I could do plenty post, I know this. This is a specific issue of being to monitor the computer while also monitoring my voice. I found a couple solutions, as the guy said earlier, it's a crappy hardware limitation.

Ha ha. Don't listen to the haters.
Try the recording-in-mono thing- you should be able to get a good signal. You absolutely lose nothing by recording in mono.

We trust you can find your way to the gear/DAW forums if you want any advice on new stuff...and the many other resources here on the forum to improve recording technique!
Until then.. keep churning!

I don't hate cheap kit, we all started somewhere. I bought a ~£60 USB LDC a couple of years ago, not that bad at all. Sent it to son in France and he finds it useful for recording acoustic guitar.

Butty,but, but! I HAVE Audition and it has EXCELLENT meters and I am dead bang sure you can check your USB mic level on those AS you waffle!

Dave.

Ha ha. Don't listen to the haters.
Try the recording-in-mono thing- you should be able to get a good signal. You absolutely lose nothing by recording in mono.

We trust you can find your way to the gear/DAW forums if you want any advice on new stuff...and the many other resources here on the forum to improve recording technique!
Until then.. keep churning!

I ended up trying the left track-in only and it works as you said. Turns out the line-in on the PC is only getting the right channel on the main-out anyway, so essentially the L/R don't even have to be plugged in, just the right to get anything. Listening to it again, it may have been just not plugged in all the way, because it doesn't sound as bad anymore. It's still not easy only being able to hear the track on one ear, but it's better than nothing and definitely manageable. Is there any way to make a mono track play on both ears? Since the left track on the main-out is not being used, if I could find a way to send that to both ears, I would have what I'm looking for. After doing more research, it seems to be a common issue with these boards and people resort to a "mix-minus" setup to deal with it. - That said, I appreciate all your help brother.

I might have missed something in all the comments but why not use the FX Send output to route the voice signal to the computer? That's the way I work. My mixer has more sends but the principle should still work for you seeing as you're just recording a single mono track. Unfortunately the Behringer manual doesn't include a schematic so this is a guess but you might even be able to have reverb on your voice in your headphones to help you stay in tune without it going to the computer.

I might have missed something in all the comments but why not use the FX Send output to route the voice signal to the computer? That's the way I work. My mixer has more sends but the principle should still work for you seeing as you're just recording a single mono track. Unfortunately the Behringer manual doesn't include a schematic so this is a guess but you might even be able to have reverb on your voice in your headphones to help you stay in tune without it going to the computer.

I tried this as I found some "mix-minus" setups that used the FX send for this. Would work well for a simple skype conversation or something that I'm able to edit in post, but it mutes any on-board FX when you use the FX send.

Yep it was a guess. I hate it when they don't include schematics but only nerds like me read them so I guess it's a waste of effort to publish them.

Do you have an eternal effects unit? You could use that for headphone reverb. Just split the FX Send and route it to both the reverb and the computer.

If it was my mixer I'd be tempted to open it and hard wire the socket so it still fed the internal effects. Strange design choice of theirs because you can just turn down the FX To Main if you don't want the internal effects so sending to both wouldn't be a problem.

Back