Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mixer/PC help

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I agree, obviously.
    Better gear often simplifies things.
    And that Scarlett box has monitoring built in.

But he should be technically capable with the stuff he has, no? If not asthetically ideal
    People have done more with less!

Thanks
    Yea, I'll manage. I can get an audio interface eventually, but I needed the live monitoring more because I got sick of having to adjust so much, especially when recording guitar, only to find out it was too loud or quiet after the fact, having to scrap a perfectly good take.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    "only to find out it was too loud or quiet after the fact, having to scrap a perfectly good take. "

WTF??!! ^ The mixer should give you SOME indication of the level being sent to the computer. The recording software IN the computer should give a similar indication. Seems to me Al' that you have missed a vital step in both your recording MO and larnin'!

Yes, you would do well to get an AI but not the 2i2. It is very good but IMHO there are better and better value. Steinberg UR22 is V good and gives you Cubase DAW software. AIs by Tascam are also good value.

But you need the software. Download the free Samplitude pro X Silver. Or Reaper (but I have that and find Sam easier) Or even Audacity to start with.
    Set the mic level such that the meters in the DAW software are blipping at around -18dBFS (means Full Scale) and peaks no higher than -8dBFS. The subsequent play back MIGHT be too quiet for your purposes but there are always ways to boost it digitally.

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    "only to find out it was too loud or quiet after the fact, having to scrap a perfectly good take. "

WTF??!! ^ The mixer should give you SOME indication of the level being sent to the computer. The recording software IN the computer should give a similar indication. Seems to me Al' that you have missed a vital step in both your recording MO and larnin'!
    Uh.. Right.. I didn't have a mixer.. I just got it.. so I could live monitor what was being sent to the computer. I was recording directly from a shoddy Nady stage mic to USB (via a USB to XLR piece.) Even looking at the wav, it's hard to determine whether your voice is just a tad to low, or if the mic was positioned badly, etc..

I have both ACID and Audition for my DAW, but mainly use ACID because I was used to Sony Vegas already and it has a somewhat similar setup. I could do plenty post, I know this. This is a specific issue of being to monitor the computer while also monitoring my voice. I found a couple solutions, as the guy said earlier, it's a crappy hardware limitation.

Thanks
    Ha ha. Don't listen to the haters.
    Try the recording-in-mono thing- you should be able to get a good signal. You absolutely lose nothing by recording in mono.

We trust you can find your way to the gear/DAW forums if you want any advice on new stuff...and the many other resources here on the forum to improve recording technique!
    Until then.. keep churning!

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    I don't hate cheap kit, we all started somewhere. I bought a ~60 USB LDC a couple of years ago, not that bad at all. Sent it to son in France and he finds it useful for recording acoustic guitar.

Butty,but, but! I HAVE Audition and it has EXCELLENT meters and I am dead bang sure you can check your USB mic level on those AS you waffle!

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by camn View Post
    Ha ha. Don't listen to the haters.
    Try the recording-in-mono thing- you should be able to get a good signal. You absolutely lose nothing by recording in mono.

We trust you can find your way to the gear/DAW forums if you want any advice on new stuff...and the many other resources here on the forum to improve recording technique!
    Until then.. keep churning!
    I ended up trying the left track-in only and it works as you said. Turns out the line-in on the PC is only getting the right channel on the main-out anyway, so essentially the L/R don't even have to be plugged in, just the right to get anything. Listening to it again, it may have been just not plugged in all the way, because it doesn't sound as bad anymore. It's still not easy only being able to hear the track on one ear, but it's better than nothing and definitely manageable. Is there any way to make a mono track play on both ears? Since the left track on the main-out is not being used, if I could find a way to send that to both ears, I would have what I'm looking for. After doing more research, it seems to be a common issue with these boards and people resort to a "mix-minus" setup to deal with it. - That said, I appreciate all your help brother.

Thanks
    I might have missed something in all the comments but why not use the FX Send output to route the voice signal to the computer? That's the way I work. My mixer has more sends but the principle should still work for you seeing as you're just recording a single mono track. Unfortunately the Behringer manual doesn't include a schematic so this is a guess but you might even be able to have reverb on your voice in your headphones to help you stay in tune without it going to the computer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iqi616 View Post
    I might have missed something in all the comments but why not use the FX Send output to route the voice signal to the computer? That's the way I work. My mixer has more sends but the principle should still work for you seeing as you're just recording a single mono track. Unfortunately the Behringer manual doesn't include a schematic so this is a guess but you might even be able to have reverb on your voice in your headphones to help you stay in tune without it going to the computer.
    I tried this as I found some "mix-minus" setups that used the FX send for this. Would work well for a simple skype conversation or something that I'm able to edit in post, but it mutes any on-board FX when you use the FX send.

Thanks
    Yep it was a guess. I hate it when they don't include schematics but only nerds like me read them so I guess it's a waste of effort to publish them.

Do you have an eternal effects unit? You could use that for headphone reverb. Just split the FX Send and route it to both the reverb and the computer.

If it was my mixer I'd be tempted to open it and hard wire the socket so it still fed the internal effects. Strange design choice of theirs because you can just turn down the FX To Main if you don't want the internal effects so sending to both wouldn't be a problem.

Thread Information