Mixer/Drum Machine setup question

P

PaulKarate

I have a Fostex MR-8 and I want to record a drum track with my Boss Dr. Groove 202 drum machine. Before I send the signal to the MR-8 I will use a Mixer to Eq the sound better.

1.) My question is where do I set the level on the drum machine before it goes to the mixer?

2.) on the mixer, where do I set the track level and the master level?

I guess the whole point is which one, the mixer or the drum machine should have the higher output level?

I guess I have no Idea about how to set this all up before the signal gets to the MR-8.

Please Help

Thanks,
Paul Karate

OK, I'll give this a try.

I like to set the signal on the output device as hot as possible. In your case, set your drum machine to about 80% (3:00 o'clock) or higher. Whether it's a keyboard, a guitar pickup or whatever, set the output as high as you can.

Then, be sure to set the individual channel trim pots on your mixer to handle the incoming signal. Your mixer should have a level setting procedure. A mixer is designed to set different incoming and outgoing levels to "unity" or roughly equal levels. The faders are designed to adjust each channel to roughly the same level or to acentuate or attenuate different channels according to your PA or recording needs.

Your hard disk recorder input levels should be well below peak or 0 dB. Adjust this level by moving the faders on your mixer. A digital signal that is peaking is a very ugly sound....not like the good old days of a little tape saturation (distortion).

Control your levels, both incoming and recording, from your mixer....that's what it's for.

Back