Mixer, Audio Interface, for Live Recording

technologyman93

At my church we have a Mackie ProFx22 mixer and I am looking at getting either a Presonus Studio 192 or Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. I am wanting to start recording our service to where I can edit them after church and make better sound quality. So a 8 input interface will work perfectly for what I am needing but here is my question.

How to I integrate them together for service would you take the 8 mics I want to record and then use the outputs on the usb interface to go to the mixer or would you go from the mixer to the usb interface. I just don't want to go out and buy the usb interface if its going to compromise or hinder our live mix going out to the church congregation.

Finaly question: Or would you just wait until the funds where available to get a presonus mixer that has a multi-track recording function via fire wire so that its 1 piece of hardware and everything is more tightly interrogated

Since the Mackie mixer doesn't have direct ouputs on each channel...and, from what I can see, doesn't even have Insert jacks on all of them...I'd suggest a box like THIS ONE.

(There are others that do the same job...this is just the first I happened to find.)

It's possible to do similar with simple splitter cables but, since you rightly are concerned about any jeopardy to the live signal, one like the ART unit that separates and isolates the two feeds is a good idea.

I'm not personally a fan of the cheap Presonus digital mixers...they're cheap for a reason. Other's may have different ideas but I wouldn't go that way...I'd even go to something like a Behringer x32 in preference to the Presonus if you want a digi mixer with multitrack outs.

You can tap line level signal from the mixer inserts if you do it properly. Or you can use XLR splitters to get mic level. The first way is more convenient, only one set of preamps to adjust. The second way has a cleaner and more reliable signal path, but you have to set two preamps for each input.

I had a quick look at the ProFX22 and it looks like they don't include Insert jacks on all the mic inputs...some seem to be replaced by built in compressors on the channel strip. I've never seen anything like that before...have a look and see if it looks the same to you.

As for two pre amps, frankly I prefer to work that way. Whether using a separate mixer for monitors or doing recording, it always seems to be a bit of a compromise finding a pre amp setting that works for both.

I had a quick look at the ProFX22 and it looks like they don't include Insert jacks on all the mic inputs...some seem to be replaced by built in compressors on the channel strip. I've never seen anything like that before...have a look and see if it looks the same to you.

That's the Yamaha way these days. It's reasonable for live work but a pain for stuff like this. Fortunately he only needs 8 inputs on the board and those can all go on the other strips that have inserts.

As for two pre amps, frankly I prefer to work that way. Whether using a separate mixer for monitors or doing recording, it always seems to be a bit of a compromise finding a pre amp setting that works for both.

Same here, so when I had my HR24 patched into my little 16 channel PA via the inserts (Y-cable at the input of the compressors) I would run the make up gain up a few dB so I could run the preamps conservatively. Recording stayed safe but it had a little boost for the live mix.

I dont know if this is relevant, as you have only mentioned USB so far, but the last couple of generations of Firewire mixers had a lot more capability than the current crop of USB mixers - the Onyx 1640i springs to mind (along with a few others, but they get quite expensive)

Definitely not future proof, though, but worth bearing in mind. To my knowledge the spec hasnt been matched by current USB mixers at the same price.

Back