Minimal setup for guitar, vocals and cajon

blacksword

Hi all,

I play in an acoustic duo that just recently added a third member, a percussionist that is going to play the cajon and possibly other small percussion instruments (which I don't really know the names of ;-) ).

When we were just two people, we used to record some of our practice sessions, basically to listen back to the songs later and check how they were progressing. To do that we used an iPad with an iRig stereo mic from IK Multimedia, and it was enough for the purpose.

I am now wondering how to do the same with the additional cajon, which has the downside that completely covers the vocals, which we usually do not amplify during practice. Now, I have several audio interfaces and mics at home, but since we practice in a different house, and we use the recordings just to see how the songs are progressing, I would like to minimize the recording and mixing effort.

I am wondering if it would be enough to bring a 2-channel interface and use it with two mics: the singer's one for her voice and a large diaphragm (an AT2020 to be exact) to get both the guitar and the cajon (use it as an ambient mic of sorts).

What do you think? Suggestions? Should I amplify the voice instead and continue with the stereo mic? Or do I really need to bring the bigger interface and multiple mics, even just for practice recordings?

Thanks!

On way to try -before expanding past the existing two mic recorder-- Would be two fold;
One move the players in the room to get a better balance at the mics -i.e. vocalist closer, percussion further away, and two-- use the recording as a reality check as to if someone... something is playing too too loud! :>)

Back