Miking a Leslie

Seafroggys

I may have a chance in the near future to mic up an organ/leslie combo, and I am really excited. I have read a lot of miking techniques online, but just want to see what you guys think based on my mic locker.

1x AT 4047
1x Fathead II
2x RODE NT2a
2x SM57
1x Audix i5
1x e609
1x Beta 52
1x D112
2x Naiant Mics (can't remember models off top of head)

I'm one to keep it simple, maybe 1-2 mics. I'm thinking the 4047 as the main mic, maybe the Fathead as well. What do you think? If I was to do stereo I'd be forced to use the Rodes, or even the 57s, but that's not as big a deal for me. This is for a rock record, and the organ will rarely be up front and 'featured' so having it take up a lot of space in the stereo field may not be smart.

What are your thoughts?

I have done one with rode nt2 top and nt1 on the bottom and it sounded very good so the NT2's you have should work fine. However live we used SM57's top and bottom and that was good too.

Remember it is not in stereo, you mic the top for the highs and most of the sound really, and the bottom for the low end extension. You don't need any stereo micing for a leslie.

Alan.

Yep I read that already! It was a great read.

So yeah, pretty much ditching the stereo idea. Now to figure out what to put on top, and on bottom. 4047 on top, fathead on bottom?

I mic my 147 with a SM57. I take the cover off the cabinet that is over the horn section to expose the top rotor and place a 57 back about 2 to 3 feet and about 2 thirds the height of the cabinet from the floor. Always sounds good to me.

I love the stereo method, with a spaced pair on top, at the back of the cabinet, and another mic on the low rotator.

Hard panned the stereo pair in the live mix, sounded amazing!

In live sound reinforcement I would use 4 mics to make it sound like twin leslies. two on top (one hard left one hard right). two on bottom (hard left & right). sounded amazing..

Back