Midi drums question from a Reaper noob

GardenofMike

Hey all,

Reaper noob here with a quick question. I'm planning on buying an electronic drum kit to record in Reaper. Based on what I've read, the best way to do this is to use the kit as a midi trigger. That being the case, is there any reason to invest in a good quality kit? If it's just triggering sounds in whatever plugin I end up using (recommendations welcome!), should I just buy the cheapest kit I can find with midi capability?

Thanks!

If you are going to do your own drumming, even with a VSTi, then the sensitivity (velocity) and mapping (how many areas can you map on one instrument) will be really important. When I say mapping, I am talking about if you can map the middle, edge, top, for various sounds. You may even want to use the actual sounds from the E-kit if they are good, just DI straight in.

I have an early cheap kit and the velocity sensitivity is the biggest draw back.

Pretty open question, but let me give it a shot (with a question). Are you a serious drummer? If yes, then it makes a huge difference what kit you get. Roland V kitss and the Alesis mesh sets will give you a lot more realistic feel. If no, then you could just get some sensitive pads or just play it out on your controller...or get the cheapest kit with midi works, too. If you want serious drum lines, you'll need better gear.

This is assuming that you can't afford (sonically, spacially and/or financially) real drums/mikes/inputs.
Take it from someone who's walked down that path. I bought the Alesis DM 10 Studio and wish I had paid the extra $150 to get the mesh heads. The feedback from the practice pad heads is no where near a real drum head. Yes, you can relearn how to do drum hits without bounce back, but it has not been fun.

Thanks for the replies - super helpful. Broken_H - to answer your question, I am a "real" drummer (or like to think of myself as one); been playing for about 20 years. Points taken about sensitivity, mapping, mesh heads, etc. Any specific recommendations for kits that fit the bill and won't break the bank ($750 range)?

Thanks again!

My studio kit was $750, but with the mesh heads runs $900-1200 depending on where you buy...(saw one on E-bay for $850). The Roland kits have better sensitivity and superior mapping, but honestly, for the money, you get snare, 4 toms, hats and 3 cymbals plus the rims. I set my two over-the-kick rims as extra crash cymbals and the two "floor" toms as china and splash. The ride has three zones. The cymbals can be choked, the hi-hat pedal is fairly nice and sends midi for 1/4 open 1/2 open 3/4 open and full open. Only problem is I haven't figured out how to get it to send foot closes.

I'm not a drummer, but I researched this some time back. The consensus was that it really is worth the money for a higher end kit. Things like heads matter a lot: The hard rubber ones don't give you the bounce of a real drum head, and put more wear and tear on your wrists. That is a big deal for me; I've dealt with repetitive motion injuries and they are no fun. They can put your music on hold indefinitely.

Back