Mid/Muddy Vocals!

VSpaceBoy

..loading
Hey All, I'm having no luck getting rid of the muddy vocals. I try eq-ing and that just makes it sound tinny or shallow. I don't know what else to try. Anyone have any tips??

I'm using an ADK A-51 w/ a pop, into a RNP/RNC barely even touching the compression on SN mode, then into the soundcard. <APhile 24/96>. I have put up two wooden bi-panel closet doors around me and hanging tons of blankets over top of them creating a makeshit gobo. Only thing I can think of is the blankets are sucking up the highs and leaving the low mids to bounce back into the mic. I've tried doubling the blankets to add more mass but no change. I've thought about trying to hang like 6 couch cusions on there too but I don't know.

Is that mic crap or am I missing something obvious??

Space

is this just proximity effect lower-mid muddiness or is it something else? when you say mid do you know what frequencies are offending you (ballpark figure) like is the 500hz stuff bugging you or the 1k?

have you tried backing off the mic a little bit?

Just try taking down the gobos and use the open room. Its takes alot of deadening to treat a space that small. Give it a try and let us know how it works.

Danny

eeldip - I'm not sure exactly what frequencies really I guess. When I pull around 300-500 it takes it out, but then sounds tinny. I record about 8 inches away give or take, I'll try playing around with it a little.

darnold - That's where I started off <w/o gobo> and it sounds bad too. Sounds like I'm in a small boxy room... go figure. ;)

Thanks for the feedback.

SpaceBoy

How are the gobos set up? Are they parellel to each other? Are they enclosing you in a box?

I would try and treat the entire room with the gobos. Many do you have? Try using the whole room but put one gobo infront of you and the other to one of the sides of you. Start out with the gobos against the wall or as far away as possible, then bring them in closer if needed.

If you find the best sound is created with them right up to you. Make sure they are not parellel to each other.

Please give us a few more details on how its set up.

Danny

VSpaceBoy said:
Only thing I can think of is the blankets are sucking up the highs and leaving the low mids to bounce back into the mic.

That could definitely be an issue, and it's good thinking on your part.

But then it's also possible that the mic just isn't a good fit for your voice.

i have have pretty good luck by playing a professional recording thru my system and then eq'ing my vocal signal going into the recorder to get as close as possible to the pro recording.

I know thats probably not what most people do (most people eq when they mix).

for me, its just something else to have to mess with in the mix and its easier to try to get the sound right going in.

Thanks for all the feedback!

darnold - I have two gobo's that I could use, but have anly been using one of them. Since I am pretty limited on space right now, I have been setting upright about 8 or so couch cusions on my keyboards along the other walls about head level. The one gobo I use has been pretty close and I have it angled as not to be parrallel to the main wall. I havn't tried backing it off yet, I usually have it about 2 feet away.

Chess - As far as it not be the right mic for me, that may be true. However, I have tried a small cap condensor mic and a sm57, and strangly enough I am getting similar results.

Mountainmirrors - I am using a 2:1 or 3:1 on my compressor, but I am not right up to it <I don't think>. I have the pop filter about 6" away and I sing about 4" from that give or take. When you say "- physically double your vocal" do you mean like in two identical takes or copy another and delay it slightly?

jimistone said:
i have have pretty good luck by playing a professional recording thru my system and then eq'ing my vocal signal going into the recorder to get as close as possible to the pro recording.

I know thats probably not what most people do (most people eq when they mix).

for me, its just something else to have to mess with in the mix and its easier to try to get the sound right going in.

Interesting, I'll have to try that on too.

Thanks again for all the help fellas

Space

I like to physically double a vocal.
And get right up in the pop filter.

I recently heard some incredible home recorded vocals, and they said they sing into an SM57 right up against a blanketed wall.

Audiophile 24/96

I havn't had a chance yet to try some of the things suggested, I'll keep you guys posted when I do!!

SpaceBoy

Back