Mics for finger style guitar recording

tvolhein

Tom Volhein
I have two Shure KSM44's and two Rodes NT5's. I am going to double mic the acoustic guitar (12th fret and the lower bout). The guitarist is classically trained and plays softly. Which mics would be better to use?

Thanks in advance.

t

I have two Shure KSM44's and two Rodes NT5's. I am going to double mic the acoustic guitar (12th fret and the lower bout). The guitarist is classically trained and plays softly. Which mics would be better to use?

Thanks in advance.

t

the rode's are extremely bright and can be harsh as well, it depends..if the guitar is dark sounding the rode's might be perfect, the ksm might be more neutral though if the guitar is brighter. I prefer SDC's over LDC's thesedays, it's hard to remove the boomy from an LDC later, it takes more time with mic placement though and sometimes they just don't work.

Will the guitar be part of a mix or is it a solo performance? that's another thing to consider.

the rode's are extremely bright and can be harsh as well, it depends..if the guitar is dark sounding the rode's might be perfect, the ksm might be more neutral though if the guitar is brighter. I prefer SDC's over LDC's thesedays, it's hard to remove the boomy from an LDC later, it takes more time with mic placement though and sometimes they just don't work.

Will the guitar be part of a mix or is it a solo performance? that's another thing to consider.

It is a solo performance. I am thinking that I will try the 44's. I am not very concerned about this guitar player sounding boomy.

Thanks for the feedback.

t

Back