Microphone vs Interface

Robert27191

Hi All,

First post on here - great forum find! Apologies if this is in the wrong section - I'm just getting to grips.

I've been recording at home for a number of years and have worked my up from a total newbie to only a partial newbie. I play piano, sing lead for a band and always enjoy the technical side of the recording part.
I began with a Se2000 mic, with an alesis i02 interface. More recently, I have upgraded to the Rode NT1-A mic with a Scarlett 2i2 interface.

My question is as follows, and I appreciate it's a very subjective one. Is it better to spend (very) high end on a mic, and use an average interface / better to use an average mic with a high end interface / better to have equally good mic and interface?

My budget is around £250-300 for a mic or so. My original alesis interface worked brilliantly, and I can't actually see much difference in the scarlett. The Rode NT1-A is a step-up from the Se2000, but is it better to save on upgrading the interface and spend the extra £100 on a higher-end mic? I record mainly vocals through those mics.

Thanks in advance!

Robert

You've got a decent mic and a decent interface. I'd be MUCH more concerned about the monitoring chain and the room treatments at this point.

Broadband trapping mostly... The last thing you're going to want are reflectors.

Just rattled off on another thread -- Broadband panels in all four corners and high side corners are a decent starting point. Still, just a starting point...

I'd imagine at this point if you're in an improperly treated space, you're already dealing with terrible and nasty reflections (basically every non-purpose-built room has terrible and nasty reflections).

if you really want better mic, the next step up is U87

otherwise its a waste.

next upstep is 10,000 getting nice mic pres, plus nice nutral sounding i/o that is not firewire or usb.

Back