Which microphone should I get for this type of voice here?

mdvuh

Hey,

I've been playing around with daws and stuff for a while now, but I decided I wanted to try to sing my own songs. I currently use a XM8500, because it was cheap. I've had it for a while and I'm not sure if I like it or not. I mean I don't know what better quality sounds like for my voice type.

I haven't really sang much stuff, this is the only song, its a cover, I got recorded so far.

Jokes and bad singing aside, which type of microphone do you think would fit my vocal type? I'm aiming for rock/pop stuff, not screaming or growling or anything like that.

Do I need to upgrade my mic? Will a new one sound alot better? I mean I have 500$ right now extra that's been sitting in my bank for a while, I've been thinking of what to use it to upgrade my music stuff. Would a PR35, Sennheiser e835, SM5,8 or such make a big difference, and what would they make my voice sound like compared to that xm8500?

I got an interface with preamps and phantom power, my rooms untreated, it has +50db gain rated. Any advice / suggestions are welcomed here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no expert by any means, but I think your mic sounds fine. The problem is you need a pop screen, which is a relatively much cheaper fix than a new mic, and even with a new mic you'd want one.

I'm no expert by any means, but I think your mic sounds fine. The problem is you need a pop screen, which is a relatively much cheaper fix than a new mic, and even with a new mic you'd want one.

+1

I didn't listen, but would say, if you don't have one, you should have one as a general rule for vocals.

You can't even hear what your voice sounds like. A cheap chinese big diaphragm condenser. With a Pop filter and some el cheapo ART MP tube pre will get you much further. The voice somehow sounded as if you were doing a Hand Job ;) with a dynamic -> buy a mic stand (otherwise: send me a Foto of you singing and Holding the Pop filter :D )... And: a lot of training; your voice will develop, too This might Change 'your' mic type...

Back