Microphone recomendations

kokokh

Hi all,

So i am looking at getting a new microphone for my home setup, i have an emu 0404 pcie card and was thinking about getting a samson c03 microphone. Only im not sure how well this microphone would sound on my sound card and its pre amps. The other option is to get the Samson c03u which runs on usb, or another similar usb mic.

I will be using this mic primarily for vocals, and probably not that often either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Ok so Ive done some reading around (probably shouldve done that before posting) and i now know My sound card does not supply phantom power. So i assume that an XLR microphone will not work for me.

I really don't want to buy a pre amp as i will not be using the mic frequently, so i may buy a USB mic.

My only issue with this is that i would have to use the asio4all driver to be able to record with the mic and listen on the sound card. i would very much prefer if i could refrain from using asio4all.

Any suggestions as to a work around, or maybe another mic?

Its not the "XLR" part that wont work, its a condenser that requires the phantom power that wont work. Any mic that requires an XLR connector doesnt necessarily require phantom power. An SM57 is a fine example.

For those of you that have difficulty understanding all the basic types of microphones available, what they are used for, what polar patterns are what etc, perhaps this tutorial may help you. It covers things like what condensor mics, ribbon, dynamic, electret, shotgun, PZM boundary mics are and what they are used for, as well as covering mic powering and other topics related to microphones.
Microphones: Basic Understanding Of The Different Types

Ok so Ive done some reading around (probably shouldve done that before posting) and i now know My sound card does not supply phantom power. So i assume that an XLR microphone will not work for me.

As someone stated, an XLR microphone could also work without phantom power, provided that the mike can be powered differently.
Rode M3 and AKG C1000 have a dual power option: either phantom power thorugh the XLR cable (if the mike pre provides it), or a 9V square battery.You might consider this.
I personally have a couple of (inexpensive, but good sounding) Rode M3's, try to have a look at it.

Or buy the xlr condensor and a simple stand alone phantom power supply unit. Like these

Phantom Power Supplies at Studiospares

you dont say where your from so i posted an english supplier (not affialted) but it will give you an idea of prices.

Consider carefully the samson model shop around and read the reviews, better still try it in store.
You may find it doesnt suit your voice and there are plenty of options in a similar price bracket i'm sure.
ps posting this in the microphone section of the forum may help as thats where the experts hang out.
good luck and happy shopping
Rich

this way microphone cabinet expansion is possible because no one single mic is suited to everything you may wish to record in future. Provided the phantom power supply is an option for your interface.

Back