Microphone for quick vocal recording

giulioz

This sunday I have to record female vocals tracks for a jazz big band demo cd.
I have a room with good acoustic and a good interface but in the studio where I'm recording there isn't good microphones right now... Can you help me choosing the best one for a decent quality?

Shure SM58
Shure Beta 58A
Shure PG81 (sounds good on vocals but pops too much)
AKG D330BT

Thanks

Is there an option of trying em all?

I'd probably start with the Beta but one size doesn't fit all and it may not fit her vocals that well.

Shure SM58
Shure Beta 58A
Shure PG81 (sounds good on vocals but pops too much)
The 58 family are designed for extremely close proximity (0-2 inches), on-axis vocal whomping.

The 81 family are designed for anything other than extremely close (anywhere from a foot to a football field), arguably slightly off-axis if relatively close sources.

It's NOT designed to be used as you would use a hand-held vocal mic... Not that it can't be used on vocals -- But if it's popping, you're probably too close and too on-axis.

A Shure 58 is a "shure" bet. Great vocal mic and not expensive. I often use my Shure 58 over a condenser for my own vocals.

Are these the options you have available to you, or options for buying?

I'd be trying both the variants of 58. If shopping is an option look for an nt1a or something.

Try both 58s - the originals can sometimes be better for "grittier" (maybe "gutteral" is the word I'm looking for?) sounding blues/jazz vocals than the Betas, at least in live sound applications.

Back