Microphone picks guitar picking

EleosFever

Hello, When I'm playing guitar and i singing in the same time (microphone is one the stand) it picks my picking from the guitar.. It's so annoying..
Ok maybe it's a silly question but what can i do to reduce it?

Not sure if you want less guitar (move to the voice and away from the guitar) or a different or less pick noise -light picks give less inst. vs pick volume, heavy more inst. volume and a more solid tone.

He's hit it right on the head. Thin picks are really bad about this. The heavier the pick, the louder the guitar sound will be vs. the pick noise.

The only other thing that this could be is that you have a really quiet guitar and sing really quiet. If that's the problem, sing louder and get a guitar that projects.

It's also stating the obvious but stay as close as you can to the vocal mic so your voice is louder re the guitar. Reduce bass response to conter proximity effect. Add a foam windshield to reduce the inevitable popping at close micing.
Another option is a headworn mic which allows you to get consistently close micing while not restricted to a stand mic's limitations.

Vocal and guitar is a notoriously difficult combination to achieve separation, both ways. Hard to set up both mics so they are rejecting the other source effectively. Close micing on both helps.

Heres a novel Idea...record them at seperate times:rolleyes:...this will solve this problem 100% of the time.

Ive worked with a few stubborn Coffieshop folk singers who cannot seem to be able to do one without the other...and sometimes you do get some bleed in the vocal channel...and vice-versa...use a parametric to get some separation in that case.

If you need separation, use figure-8 mics and point the null of each mic at the thing you don't want it to pick up.

Back