Micing vs miking

Over the last 30 years I have used many different spelling combinations for microphone placement.
Since the term is a colloquialism & neither micing nor miking are not actual words.
I came to the opinion that the change from a noun to a verb just needs the ing on the end.

While micing might be correct i agree with the original post here that the spelling is annoying.:cursing:

So i have taken to mic'ing up the instruments.
It separates the mic from mice,

also, I DI'd the bass :guitar:and i'm sync'ing the tape to tools:spank:

Since the term is a colloquialism & neither micing nor miking are not actual words.
"Miking" is a word.
We've declared it a word.
It will remain a word.
The independent Republic of Miking has spoken.
There will be mic miking.
Do not attempt to resist us.
No mercy shall be shown to dissenters.
Proponents of micing and mic'ing shall be crushed {or clipped}.
Forthwith.

Now go and record something.

Ok, it is now official; it's MIC. This comes from the best source on rockin' mics: The Beastie Boys. I came across this bit of info earlier today whilst giving "Paul's Boutique" an evidently coincidentally-timed re-listen. Allow me to quote from that album, specifically from the song, "B-Boy Bouillabaisse:"

Here's another one for y'all to peep
It's called M-I-K-E on the M-I-C

See??? The "M-I-K-E" refers to their bass player/emcee, Mike D. And we all know what the "M-I-C" refers to.

It's official.:spank:

Over the last 30 years I have used many different spelling combinations for microphone placement.
I came to the opinion that the change from a noun to a verb just needs the ing on the end.

While micing might be correct i agree with the original post here that the spelling is annoying.:cursing:

So i have taken to mic'ing up the instruments.
It separates the mic from mice,

also, I DI'd the bass :guitar:and i'm sync'ing the tape to tools:spank:

You come here and post once, and it's in this topic? :facepalm:

Ok, it is now official; it's MIC. This comes from the best source on rockin' mics: The Beastie Boys. I came across this bit of info earlier today whilst giving "Paul's Boutique" an evidently coincidentally-timed re-listen. Allow me to quote from that album, specifically from the song, "B-Boy Bouillabaisse:"

Here's another one for y'all to peep
It's called M-I-K-E on the M-I-C

See??? The "M-I-K-E" refers to their bass player/emcee, Mike D. And we all know what the "M-I-C" refers to.

It's official.:spank:

Oh, man, JD, you quote the Beastie Boys. You just lost 99.9% credibility! :eek: :laughings:

Hahahaha I never said the Beastie Boys were the "font of wisdom;" in fact, I never said anything about wisdom at all. I just figured if anyone knows about mics it's them. And clearly most of you haven't listened to anything they did past "Fight For Your Right (to Party)." If you had, you'd give them the sonic respect they deserve.

That being said, I was only trying to be funny. Note taken for future attempts at humor. ;)

Hahahaha I never said the Beastie Boys were the "font of wisdom;" in fact, I never said anything about wisdom at all. I just figured if anyone knows about mics it's them. And clearly most of you haven't listened to anything they did past "Fight For Your Right (to Party)." If you had, you'd give them the sonic respect they deserve.

That being said, I was only trying to be funny. Note taken for future attempts at humor. ;)

Yeah, I've listened to them. Humorous, but deserving if "sonic respect? What exactly is that, anyway? :eek:

Thanks RAMI, I appreciate that, but I was only joking about the Beastie Boys being the final word on the whole spelling argument; I'm not joking about the sonic awesomeness they've put out. Go give "Check Your Head" or "Ill Communication" a listen and tell me that those albums aren't deserving of praise where the production and recording quality is concerned. It's brilliant stuff. Masterfully-layered samples sourced from great records (the opening track on "Check Yer Head" features THREE Jimi Hendrix samples as well as a sample of a track by The Turtles I didn't even know existed) intertwined with live playing and some nasty, nasty sounds.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying they're Daniel Lanois but they're not trying to be. Not all recordings have to be pristine & perfect in order to be considered sonically worthy. I mean, the Beastie Boys *did* launch Rick Rubin's career, and while I think "License to Ill" (the album that features "Fight for Your Right") is somewhat grating in terms of its sonic qualities, and some of the sounds they use could've been better, there is still some ground-breaking stuff on that album, and they only build on that innovative pattern with their next three albums.

But seriously, before you discount them any further, go listen to "Check Yer Head" from front to back without stopping. And I mean actually LISTEN. The sheer diversity of sounds & styles on that album makes it a classic, and that's not even considering the ground-breaking recording it actually is.

Back