Micing a marshall valvestate vs65r

WeldPhaser

hey guys ,

i've mostly been recording acoustic guitar. I just bought a marshall valvestate vs65r. im using a MXL v57m and i wonderdered if anyone had any suggestions on recording the gain channel on the valvestate..

thanks

hey guys ,

i've mostly been recording acoustic guitar. I just bought a marshall valvestate vs65r. im using a MXL v57m and i wonderdered if anyone had any suggestions on recording the gain channel on the valvestate..

thanks

Capacitor (aka 'condenser') mics are not generally used on guitar cabs but I dare say you can get good results with care?
The main problem is 'blasting'. Often you need a decent level, 90dBSPL+ out of the amp to get the sound you want and a very close cap' mic can overload. If it has a 10 or 20dB pad switch, could be handy.

That said, you might find it better to get a cheap, rough arsed $30 dynamic! Now, Fings wot I have read about getting a good electric guitar tone 'in the can'.

Move the mic about. Across the cone and in and out (but keep within a foot or so unless you have a very nice room) Handy if you can get a bod to do this while you widdle.

Listen to the MICROPHONE pickup on headphones. The sound you hear 5 feet away in the room is usually nothing like the mic pickup.

If trying for an overdrive sound i.e. distortion, "they" tell us NOT to go for AS much as you think you want (see ^).

Take your time. The process can be frustratingly protracted, especially if you want 'A' specific sound. If the guitar is going to be part of a larger mix this will have an impact on the sound you need to aim for. Cannot help there you need years of experience.

DI'ing. Don't forget you can 'split' the guitar signal and have a 'micc'ed' track and a direct one. Investing in a cheap, passive DI box also adds to your sonic pallet.

Investigate the technique of 'Re-Amping'.

Nothing to do with recording but I know that some of the 'Valvestate' models were rather unreliable. If yours has a fan cooling the PA chip, make sure it is not clogged or ever stops!

Dave.

Hi there,
Can you give us a bit more info?
Tell us about the type of music you're making, the guitar (and other equipment) that you've got,
the environment...Anything that might be relevant.

The more info, the more focussed the advice. :)

Hi there,
Can you give us a bit more info?
Tell us about the type of music you're making, the guitar (and other equipment) that you've got,
the environment...Anything that might be relevant.

The more info, the more focussed the advice. :)

Yes, and that ^.. I just rambled on about generalities.

Dave.

Your mxl can be used if its far enough from the speaker, which means you better have a great sounding room most of the time, try it and see. If it sounds echo-y or phasey try throwing a packing blanket or comfortor over the amp and mic to minimize reflections. Unless you can get the tone you are after that way or at a low volume I would recommend the tried and true sm57 to start if you plan to close mic(putting the mic up against the grille cloth is normal) and the sm57 mic is on sale most places right now.

ProSound Handheld Dynamic Microphone | maplin

That is the sort of thing I was talking about ^ The specc' shows them to be rather insensitive (about 6dB cooler than a 57) but against an amp fret that can be an advantage.
I am not pretending that these cheap dynamics are AS good as a $100+ Shure but 'tis only Rock n Roll'! In any event it is always handy to have a spare mic for test/elimination purposes.

Dave.

Back