Micing the bass itself....

UberGawkman

Our bassist plays with a lot of cool slap/pop stuff, and it sounds really good on his new bass.... even unplugged. We want to have a combination of direct, micing his cab in the other room, and micing his actual bass. We have found that we get a lot of that slap/pop projection from the headstock. The guy likes to move around a lot when we play, and we have a decent clip on mic, so we first tried clipping that on to his headstock and aiming it at the strings. It was at that point when we reallized how much the wood on bass guitar actually vibrates. Since the mic is clipped on, it vibrates too, giving us weird frequencies we don't want. It would seem at this point that our only option would be to make him stand still and mic his bass with a stand. But before we resort to that option and force him to stand still, can anyone here think of any way to make it work with a mic attached to the bass? Maybe something to serve as a "shock absorber" of sorts?

I think I get the point.

Hmmm, I may try micing the bridge instead, since that doesn't move nearly as much as the neck and headstock.

Make him sit down. Mount a ecm8000 in the spot where most of this is heard the best. sitting down will controll the movement of the Bass itself.

Back