Mic stand suggestions for heavy mics?

jasonlam1995

I have 2 Rode NT2As and they are very heavy for normal mic stands, and I intend to use them to record grand pianos so they will be at angles. So I need suggestions for stands that are able to hold this kind of heavy mics at angles and not sag?

Thanks very much!

Can you be more specific? I don't want to get the wrong ones (again)

All the K&M stuff is heavier than cheaper brands like Ultimate and On Stage. That alone makes them more stable with heavier mics, and on top of that the clamping hardware works better so they don't sag with the weight. If that's still not enough look into Atlas studio stands.

You can use counterweights on the boom, or weights at the base. I've picked up some of those wrist and ankle weights used for exercise. I wrap one around the upright near the base.

I know this thread is getting a bit old, but maybe this reply will help others with the same problem...

I have several of these hanging out around the studio. On-Stage Counterweight - 3lbs CW3 B&H Photo Video They also come in 6 lb. versions. I hang them on the back end of booms for counterweight with heavy mics.

I have also been known to slide 5 or 10 lb. barbell weights down over the mic stand (while boom is removed) to rest on the legs at the bass.

Back