Mic stand

Honestly, I hate K&M Mic Stand! Always unable or have to try hard to tighten the "boom joint". Tired!

You must have used the cheap series, rather than the pro series.

My mic. stands are nearly all the pro series (though I have a few Sennheiser versions with the better grip on the adjuster).

For important work I use teh Latch Lake 1100 - superb - it's heavy and has a lot of counterweitht options.

I have an Atlas. Finally bought it after mucking around with the cheap ons for too long.

I don't use tripod bottoms, as they take up so much floor space and are so easy to trip over and then your best microphone takes a spill. I like those On Stage short booms with the cast iron three "footed" base, small footprint, and so far have not given me any grief, and not terribly expensive.

Using a full size stand for amps, drums, and other short applications is a hassle. Every one should have one good heavy duty cast iron bottom Atlas, you don't need that big long boom, but just a really robust platform for your high end vocal microphone might pay for itself in one prevented mishap.

I used to freelance a lot, this one studio i kept telling them, you put that C12 or U67 on these music store tripods you will regret your pennywise pound foolish choices. Sho nuff, both microphones hit the turf, neither was completely crippled, just never quite the same, and suddenly a seven thousand dollar mic is worth half as much.

Now, compared to mic stands, mic cords are a freaking embarrassment. I have twenty year old cords that function perfectly, and brand new ones that didn't last twenty days. They have gotten so good at copying the look of switchcraft and neutrik that just eyeballing them is not enough scrutiny any more. I am guessing that 90 per cent of the ones available now are complete pieces of excrement, pathetic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back