Which mic with sm57

Vince14

Hi guys!
I have a question for you, I was wondering which mic could be matched with a classic shure sm 57. I only record my electric guitar in a close mic take into a isobox. I guess to think a ribbon mic for low end, and the mid- high caught with sm57? Or better two dynamic? (Md421) or last a condensator mic?
I play metal. Direct in front sound.

Do you mean in addition to the SM57 inside the iso-box? Honestly, I'd think a single mic should do it in that environment. The ribbon and condenser are (IMO) going to be useful only in an open environment where you can be back some distance from the cabinet. That 421 is a nice mic, but, boy, that's a lot of money for something I doubt I could say was better for that use case.

Is there something specific you're trying to do that's not working with the setup you have? If you're not capturing bass from an electric guitar with a close mic'd cab, a real SM57 should be able to do that IME, but I confess I've never used an iso-cab. On stage, in a mix, the bass content has not been a problem (of course, I've never done metal either!)

Yeah man, not sure addition of another mic is going to do you any benefit in an ISO cab situation. From my experience with adding a mic to guitar cab, is more about capturing the room. Meaning distance from the speakers.

Now if you want to just try another mic in the ISO cab, then go for it. No condensers in a box. That just wouldn't make sense for me to even try. MD 421 Is a possible dynamic mic to try in the box - maybe, but gaff tape the shit out of it as the mounting system to the clip is the worst thing ever designed. Mic good. Stoopid/expensive and weak connected mic clip. 57 is your best option IMO.

I have used a ribbon on a 25 watt 8 inch speaker combo amp at about 12" with a packing blanket covering the amp and mic. It sounds pretty dark . I would say depending on the size of your box you could use a ribbon. Also an octava 219 or 319 if the box is big enough and the amp not too loud. If the box is not much bigger than the amp or if you are really cranking it up you probably wont see enough difference though.

Thank you guys for your replies! They have given me a big help! With only 57 I catch all frequences but I think that some the details are missing! I thought that I could resolve with another mic as 421.

What kind of speaker and cab is it in?

If you’re going to have a speaker cabinet in a box I’d think a closed cabinet is necessary, and then you’d want that to be a good quality design.

Then, your iso box needs to be probably a couple inches of mdf with another 4” of rockwool to be effective. What’s that like?

But realistically, I’d expect you’re pushing a very compressed, saturated audio wave into a small space. Detail is going to have a hard time in there.

Thank you guys for your replies! They have given me a big help! With only 57 I catch all frequences but I think that some the details are missing! I thought that I could resolve with another mic as 421.

421+57 is a tried and tested combination. You'll see it everywhere but things are different in an iso box.
How well one mic, never mind two, will work really depends on the construction of the box. Those things are wildly hit and miss and and great sounding ones that I've heard were really quite big and very well insulated.
What have you got? Pics? Specs?

If the thing sounds great to you, as is, and you're just looking for something extra in your tone then sure, a 421 or any larger dynamic mic be great alongside your 57.
If the thing isn't sounding great already, more mics will probably make it worse. :)

An MD421 is perfect for what you are doing. It has everything that the 57 doesn't.

I tended to point the 57 at the spot where the dust cap meets the cone and the 421 about half way up the cone.

Royer R101. If you want to add it to the 57 it'll be amazing. 135db rated. You place it in the center of the iso-box. It's figure-of-8. You get everything.

Hi guys!
I have a question for you, I was wondering which mic could be matched with a classic shure sm 57. I only record my electric guitar in a close mic take into a isobox. I guess to think a ribbon mic for low end, and the mid- high caught with sm57? Or better two dynamic? (Md421) or last a condensator mic?
I play metal. Direct in front sound.

I like to give the AT2020 XLR version a shout out here. Great for vocals. Since you're making metal, it should make your guitars sound more 'filled'. Like it did with my vocals. At least worth a shot.

I like using a ribbon with a SM57, however I also like the 421, and the 421 / ribbon combination.

You could use a large condenser mic with the SM57 also, works well, therefore you also have the large condenser for other things as well.

Alan.

Back