Mic Pres and Interfaces

Loxley

Hey folks,

Pretty broad question here, but I'd like to work it out. I currently have a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. I recorded one album on it already, but I'm looking to really step up my home recording game. I'd like to use something with more harmonically rich and warmer preamps. So my first question is this: What kind of dual-channel (or just two separate) mic preamp could I get for under $500 used would you recommend and why?

Also, should I upgrade my interface too? If I'm using a pre, I'm just sending everything to the line-level inputs, so I imagine I could use any old interface will do since the in-box preamp isn't a consideration. Then again, I've heard some people argue the DACs may be an issue and I could do better. Thoughts on that? Keep it or toss it?

Much thanks.

The focusrite DAC will be fine. DAC should be way down on the upgrade list for a home setup. Most are fine and people just get anal about it and think better DACs will equal better recordings.

For lots of "character"/harmonic content the easy way is using tubes. I'm not sure of a 2 input for under $500 that's good. I heard the ArtPro is pretty good for its price but never used one so I can't vouch for that. You could also get a nice 1 channel and use the focusrite if/when you need stereo.

Keep in mind that tube/harmonic content type preamp can overwhelm a mix if it's on every track. You'll have to use the output tubes more on a lot of tracks and only crank the gain for that character when you really need it (like a bass or vocal is best for that imo)

You haven't mentioned the rest of your recording set up but, unless you already have great microphones and a properly acoustically treated room, your $500 would likely be better spent on a really good mic (maybe a tube mic) and/or acoustic treatment. Certainly there are nice pre amps out there but even the best makes a fairly subtle change compared to the mic and the room.

I probably should mention my recording methods and setup.

Most of my project is plugged straight in - synth, bass, drum machines, etc., I only mic vocals and guitar (sometimes guitar is direct-in too), as well as the occasional tambourine. Out of the little acoustic performance I have done, I have had pretty good results with my improvised soundproofing.

I do suppose I might only need one channel for the mic pre, really. It's just nice to have two in case I want to beef up synthesizers and such.

While I would agree that the money would be better spent on acoustic treatment or mic upgrades (unless your setup is already decent), I have to recommend this preamp. I've had it for less than a year I think and only used it a handful of times, but I really do love it! It allows me to dial in some character to my signal, especially if I'm going for a warm vintage-y tone....I think I paid about a hundred less for it though.

Golden Age Project Pre-73 Preamp MKII | Musician's Friend age&index=3

Your link is bad...and they are out of stock at MF until November. :)
Though it looks like the other models (MKIII and DLX) are available...but cost more than the MKII

I would suggest this over the Golden Age (just my own preference, not saying the Golden Age is bad or anything like that)...though granted, it's a bit more $$$, but it can be had used for like $500 on eBay. Warm Audio | Serious Gear. Seriously Affordable.
I also like the fact that the Warm pre is a full-rack pre, rather than a half-rack unit....but that's me, as I like all my gear racked.

This pre is one I've been interested in getting for awhile now, but I have plenty of pres already , so I'm not hurting for a new one.
The price is good, and these are supposed to give you a lot of tone options, especially if you want something that adds character and color to the signal, as opposed to a more transparent preamp.

The FMR RNP is 2-channel and is under $$500, but it's definitely not a "color" or "character" preamp. it just sounds like a preamp. It has some cool features though.

Has anyone here used the Focusrite ISA One? That looks like a really fun box to play with. It's got a ton of features, and is a direct descendant from a Neve design from the 80's. It looks like it would be a versatile pre for a home studio.

The FMR RNP is 2-channel and is under $$500, but it's definitely not a "color" or "character" preamp. it just sounds like a preamp. It has some cool features though.

Has anyone here used the Focusrite ISA One? That looks like a really fun box to play with. It's got a ton of features, and is a direct descendant from a Neve design from the 80's. It looks like it would be a versatile pre for a home studio.

yes I used the ISA One for a couple of years, it's a great box, especially for the money, but you might be surprised by how clean it sounds, I'd describe it as clean with a hint of colour and it also adds sheen to the high end which can be nice on dynamics and ribbon mics, the variable impedance is very useful and it has a lot of gain...still it's miles better than an interface preamp and it will improve your recordings.

I now use a pair of rupert neve designs 511 mic preamps instead and prefer them over the ISA.

Cool, thanks for the review. It really looks like a cool little box. I'm all set for pres right now as well, but I'd bet that most home studios would benefit from something like that pre.

The Tone Beast looks really cool too. I almost got one, but went another direction instead.

That Golden Age looks sweet too.

Back