Mic and preamp in range 800-900 budget

KatanaParno

Hello all,

Please i need an advice.
Now i want to buy mic and preamp, my budget it is around 800-900 euros. I want record only rap and reach the modern sound something like migos or lil pump (mumble rap-low voices). Now i have audio interface "Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6" and i want to buy audio technica AT4040 or Blue mic baby bottle. Preamp in my range is GAP PRE73 mk3 or warm audio WA12 500 Series.
My question is: which is a better combination for this style?
-GAP PRE73 mk3 with Baby bottle
-GAP PRE73 mk3 with AT4040
-WA12 500 with baby bottle
-WA12 500 with AT4040
When you have better combo write me your view.

Thanx for all reply.

I presume you want a pre amp that you can push to give some 'attitude' to the signal? Well both pre amp will do that but in different ways since the origin of their (copied!) circuitry is different. Which YOU will like, nobody but you can say.

If perhaps pre am character is not your aim then since both mics have a very healthy sensitivity, the Baby Bottle being very hot at 33mV, the mic pre amps of the KA6 would be more than adequate. There is however a potential problem

The KA6 is a superb AI, I have one but it has one weakness, low phantom current capability. The AT is specc'ed at 48V at 4.1mA and I doubt the KA6 will deliver that. There is no current figure given for the BBottle that I can find. Now, many capacitor mics work perfectly well at less than optimum phantom voltage but you might find headroom is compromised.

However, if you did just want a clean pre amp path buy a $30 phantom power unit and save yourself a heap of dosh!

Dave.

It's pretty hard to give any advice without knowing how your recording room is. I'm not gonna ask you how it sounds. That's impossible to answer.

But how's the background noise, fi.Noisy room? Maybe you shouldn't buy a condenser mic. Maybe...

How reflective is it? Hard walls, or lots of rugs and wood?

Another question is how do you handle the mic. If you have that typical rap habit, to cup your hands around the mic, you need an SM57. Again, maybe...

Hopefully you have a 500 series rack power supply....the WA12 is not a stand-alone mic pre. You will need a lunch-box of some sort to mount it. The GAP is a stand alone. The Baby-Bottle is a bright mic the 4040 is too just not as much. A little better low end on the 4040. Tighter.

I would look around and find a nice condition used Presonus Eureka mic pre and either mic would work. Should work for your budget. You'd get a very clean and clear mic pre with EQ and compression and several other control parameters that would allow you to seriously sculpt out YOUR sound and just leave it where it is. LOTS of options.

Hello all,

Please i need an advice.
Now i want to buy mic and preamp, my budget it is around 800-900 euros. I want record only rap and reach the modern sound something like migos or lil pump (mumble rap-low voices). Now i have audio interface "Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6" and i want to buy audio technica AT4040 or Blue mic baby bottle. Preamp in my range is GAP PRE73 mk3 or warm audio WA12 500 Series.
My question is: which is a better combination for this style?
-GAP PRE73 mk3 with Baby bottle
-GAP PRE73 mk3 with AT4040
-WA12 500 with baby bottle
-WA12 500 with AT4040
When you have better combo write me your view.

Thanx for all reply.

Daking MP One.

4040 over the baby bottle because off headroom. Rode NT1 if possible.

Ages ago I owned both a 4040 and a Baby Bottle. Now I use much better things. In hind site, try the Rode NT1.

Back