Mic Pre, Compressors, EQ Question

For vocals, my go-to device is the Langevin Dual Vocal Combo.

The preamp has character, but not too much.

The compressor is an LA3A-type which never really sounds compressed, things just get thicker. Even when you are 10-15db into the reduction.

The EQ is just high and low, but it does have switchable frequencies. For vocals, the only EQing I do during recording is a little high and low shelf anyway. Most of the time, I don't even do that.

The only thing higher sample rates give you is the ability to record higher frequencies. It's the bit depth that would be a closer analogy to 'resolution'. Since 24 bit gives you a dynamic range of 144db, there won't be a need for anything more because there is no way to feed the converters a signal with the noise floor even that low. That 'resolution' beats vinyl (80db) or tape (55-60db).

It's easy to make the mistake of thinking the medium that you like the sound of more is the more accurate. Even when, clearly, it isn't. There is a lot of bad or outdated information out there. Digital recording and playback isn't as straight forward as the stair-step diagrams that make it seem like the audio will be played back in chunks. It isn't, those steps don't exist in the analog signal coming out of the converters, and your speakers certainly can't reproduce them, so they can never hit your ear.

Did I miss the part about an interface for the computer? I got lost in the finer points of the analog and digital discussion. ;)

I havent read all the other posts but a good starting Pre is the Avalon 737 if you just want a solid piece of gear. Personally I havent gotten a particular tone from it tracking vocals. It has only acted as a preamp for the mic. But it is a solid piece of gear nonetheless. Several engineers have them in their home setups and even the major studios own them. From my reading they work great with a U87 mic, but I've only used it with a majove.

Another piece i personally plan on purchasing is the Golden Age Project 73. Its a vintage neve clone priced at about 300 to 350. Very solid reviews and opinions from other engineers ive spoken to. It adds a bit of color to your source as does the neve products.

It also depends on the particular style of music.

Back