Mic placement on drums

Kyler, did you want a yes or no answer along with explanations or tips or just a flat yes or no?

Just curious.
Doesn't really matter what he "wanted". He asked what he asked and got the right answer. As far as I know, this isn't a psychic forum. If you have a question, you have to ask it. He didn't give enough information for anyone to start throwing around their questionable, wacky "techniques".

I guess they're just not important enough to remember.

Or, half the time, it's because there was no "argument". I've had a few people freak out on me even though I was actually agreeing with them.:eek:

Or, half the time, it's because there was no "argument". I've had a few people freak out on me even though I was actually agreeing with them.:eek:

Lol. Right. Some people really are not mentally equipped for the internet.

I've had arguments with everyone here at least a dozen times. If I remember correctly, I won them all too.

You didn't specify but one thing that might be giving you a little trouble is the kick drum. When I record kick drum the set up is always easier if the kick has a port. You can position the mic a little bit inside the kick isolating the sound and getting a bit more attack. If the drum set you are tracking doesn't have a port it is a bit trickier to get the typical desired sound. When I am recording a kick with no port i will usually build a drum tunnel out of moving blankets (with mic stands as a skeleton structure) to isolate the sound. You could also try adding another mic to the beater side of the kit (check for phase) to get a bit more attack.
You may already know all this but if not i hope this helps a bit with the set up.

The higher frequencies will leak into most mics from directly behind the mic so you want to make sure you have cymbals slightly off axis to the back of the mic. Also, point the mic at the center of the tom not (straight down) at the edge. I've been using (CAD TSM411) mics on toms for years with great results.

You didn't specify but one thing that might be giving you a little trouble is the kick drum. When I record kick drum the set up is always easier if the kick has a port. You can position the mic a little bit inside the kick isolating the sound and getting a bit more attack. If the drum set you are tracking doesn't have a port it is a bit trickier to get the typical desired sound. When I am recording a kick with no port i will usually build a drum tunnel out of moving blankets (with mic stands as a skeleton structure) to isolate the sound. You could also try adding another mic to the beater side of the kit (check for phase) to get a bit more attack.
You may already know all this but if not i hope this helps a bit with the set up.

Yeah, either that or take the reso off. Gaffering a blanket over the open head can cut down on some of the bleed.

Back