Mic and Interface

AustinHenryTV

Hello,
I have been looking to upgrade my interface and microphone. I record rap vocals and some singing with Logic X. I currently use an M-Audio fast track pro and a Rode NT1 mic. I have been researching some mics and interfaces but everyone seems to have mixed feelings about all of them. The interfaces i have been looking into are the grace design m101, the focusrite scarlett 2i2 and the komplete audio 6. The mics i have been looking into are the neumann TLM 102 and the Rode NTK. Any advice? Thanks!

What are you not happy about with your current equipment? Is your recording/mixing room acoustically treated?

I wish I had bought an interface with two more inputs for recording multiple mics onsite, but for home recording (guitar, bass, vocals) it's fine, since I do that all one at a time.

Both the M-audio and the Rode are respectable bits of gear.

If, for some reason, you are dissatisfied with them to the extent that you want to replace them, and you are seeking help in determining the replacements, you need to explain what it is about your setup that you don't like (as Mike B noted above).

Without an understanding of the problem it is impossible to suggest a solution.

I've used the Rode NT1 and found it a bit fizzy in the highs.
The NT2 lessons that fizz substantially and seems to capture more depth overall but I still prefer my SE2200 MKII
Never had a chance to use the Neumann or the NTK - though I imagine you wouldn't want to push the valve in the NTK too hot for a rap vocal.
I'm using the 2i2 now but I'm in desperate need of more I/O (see signature) so looking at Roland OctaCapture myself.
In this price bracket I believe the Preamps between Focusrite, Roland, NI, Presonus et-al to be pretty much on par - I'd look to driver stability as a main selling point.
If you want real improvement on the Preamp side you need to go external - ISA-One, Warm Audio, GAP all make decent pres in the lower end of the external pre market.

For Rhode NTK Mics - Apogee duet is also a good choice, but it is better to stick with either of GAP pre 73 / focustrite scarlett 2i2, both make solid pairing with it.

With Neumann TLM 102 - Best to go with Motu 8 pre or RME FF 800

To repeat mjbphotos, how are the acoustics of your recording space? If they're not well treated, your money might be better spent in that direction rather than an mic/interface upgrade.

The gear you have is in the "it's okay" category; the gear on you shortlist is better--but good acoustic treatment will make an even bigger change to your sound for less money.

Back