Mic for bluesy crooner type

AlanD

Hey everybody,
I'm trying to find a mic for a bluesy crooner style voice, a little raspy at times as well. I need something with good detail. I don't want it to smooth out the raspyness, but I don't want it to be overly sensitive to highs. Any suggestions?

Any decent condenser should do the trick (not sure of your budget). As far as "overly sensitive to highs" - that would be related moreso to your technique, not the mic itself. Good luck!

A Shure sm7B will sound nice and smooth, but may take some raspiness out of it, which you may not like. High frequency detail may also lack a little. Still it's a possible choice.
A large diaphram condensor like the Rode NTK will give you plenty of detail. Neumann U87 and AKG C414 are other possible choices. There are many others. It all depends on your budget and the singer's voice.

Fathead.

I mean the mic -- The Cascade FatHead.

The Cascade Fathead is a ribbon mic. Ribbons tend to smooth out raspiness and have less high frequency detail than LDC's. Fatheads are ok mics if you get a good one, but in my experience the quality varies from mic to mic with these.

Back