Mic Advice

musicturtle

Done lots of research. Pretty much narrowed it down to either the Rode NT-1(not A) and the Aston Origin. They are in my price range and I can buy them locally which I like in the case of any problems. I have used my Focusite mic for about a year now and just want a bit of an upgrade.

I will be recording my vocals(male tenor) and acoustic guitar with the mic. Never plan on mic'ing an amp or a drum set of any kind.

Any thoughts between these two? Thanks

Never used either...but what matters is how you think your voice sounds with either...it's really your choice.

If you can actually demo them both...it would help you decide.

The NT-1 is pretty decent at miking almost anything, and I quite like the sound - no idea on the Aston. What I do know is that over the years I tend to recognise certain things in the sound of a mic, and it lights the green or red light in my head. The worst mic I ever bought was an EV RE-320 which I positively hated, Singers I work with often sounded different, and importantly so did I, speaking or singing. I was gong to relegate it to a second kick drum mic, until one job came along and I'd taken my mic box full of my everyday mics to a job and left it there, and the only mic I had in the studio was the EV. Four hours later and it has become my favourite mic for vocals. My point is that you need to try a mic for long enough to make your mind up. First impressions are usually right, but might not be?

The new black NT1 is getting very good reviews. It is a lot smoother than the first NT1, or its cousin, the NT1A.

I don't think you would be disappointed with it.

I have no experience with the Aston

The origin is interesting. Vid of a guy opening the box and there is a decal and pin, but no sock for protection ?

Spent a while listening to youtube reviews, most of which are dreadfully produced, but I think based solely on these, I'd go with the Rode - actually any of the NT-1 variants.

I have used the NT-1 exclusively for the past 4 years(with the exception of an SM57 for guitar cab mic'ing). Can't compare it to anything else because I really don't have much experience with others. I can tell you, from my experience, that it works great. I use it mainly for vocals but also for acoustic guitar recording. It seems to be pretty versatile and I have gotten some really good sounds out of it.

Yeah. I am bit new here my apologies I saw the gear forum after I posted this.
I picked up the Origin today it was on sale a Guitar Center and I have a small ghetto twin mattress vocal both so the supposed built in pop filter was attractive to me. Will try it out, if it doesn't suit me I will return it and try the NT-1. Just glad to have a new tool/toy in the box.

I've sang through the black nt1. It's definitely different than a lot of mics in that price range.

It's not a bad mic and I don't think you will be unhappy with it.

this has a NT1 and NT1A and the tube RODE.

its interesting comparing the male vocal alone then once in the mix. I thought the NT1A sounded a bit thin but in the mix the lowend already gone on the NT1A it fit in the mix well...actually I thought all of them sounded pretty good in the mix sample.

Vocal Mic Shootout | Sweetwater

Thanks, yeah that mic shoot out page helped me make my decision. When I listened to the NT1 it had some of the same frequencies sticking out as the mic I already had so I went with the Aston Origin. It was on sale for 250 at Guitar Center. So far I really like it.

Back