Matching live sound and studio sound

skwee

Hi, friends: been lurking here for a short time, just joined up.

I've been reading up on a lot of threads, but may not have worded my searches correctly in my quest, so I decided to just ask about combining performance takes and in-home tracks.

It’s a chamber music/crossover album project in the works that would involve:
*classical guitar, solo vocals, with some violin obbligato
*fully home-recorded (studio) tracks (standard bass, guitar, vocals, perc)
*some places I’d like to combine the two sounds (adding backgrounds,supplemental parts to the live tracking)

So, if this isn’t a fool’s errand, what’s a good way to record the large room stuff so that the studio sound can match it well?For example, if the mics are close enough and aimed correctly, could we still record everything together and still be able to manage vocal overdubs later?

Any suggested techniques/warnings for matching up supplemental/background studio tracks to the live track?

Should I just not worry about the large room and record the other musicians in my apartment like I’m already doing?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

The biggest problem you have is matching the sound of the recording space. If you are careful not to have too large a room sound in the live recording side (but still keeping a nice room sound), you can probably match the sound with some reverb on the studio side.

Alan.

Record some impulses of the large space and use those with a convolution reverb to put the studio stuff in a similar space.

Back