Mastering with Reaper

dsealer

I'd be interested if anyone here uses Reaper. If so, what do you use, or how do you "master" your songs? Here's what I'm trying to get to. When songs are Rendered to 2 tracks, or bounced, the end product has volume levels that are much lower than commercially produced songs. I'm trying to find out what people use, or how to get volume levels that are comparable.
Thanks,
Don......

Simple answer: yes. I can't afford to send songs out for mastering, market/sales are just not there.

I make sure my mix is good first, don't try to fix things in the mastering stage. If there's a problem after I've done the following, I go back and fix the mix.

Kjaerhus Master Limiter - set so that it just applies a little compression on the highest peaks.
A very small bit of compression after, just enough to boost the peak volumes from 0.2 to 0.1.

The only time I'll add any EQ is if a song seems particularly different than the rest of the tracks I'm comparing too. I only do this 'final mastering' when I've got a CD's worth of tunes ready.

Last edited:
I do all of my mastering in Reaper, and really mostly use nothing but ReaComp and ReaEQ and a JS soft clipper that I wrote myself.

When I master for CD I generate a DDP 2.0 file using Reaper. But I do the audio processing portion of the job in Vegas. Like ashcat_lt, I use the ReaEQ. For general compression I'll occasionally use ReaComp, but for final limiting I'll use a commercially made master limiter.

I'm not a fan of the Kjaerhus Master Limiter.

Once you finish your track, double click it inside the wave form window. Select -0.1 on the Render slide. Click OK. Go to Extensions and click on "Loudness". Highlight track and click Analyze. After it done, left click on track inside loudness box and click "go to true peak". This will place your play head dead on the loudest peak inside the wave form area on your track. Add JS: NP1136 Peak Limiter on master track. Create 4 sec capture window and turn on loop button. Adjust limiter to your desired output level. Put DC Offset as last FX and go grab a coffee.

I am out of town and my LT crapped out. I went to wally world got a new one. Spent the last 30 hrs learning windows 10. I did a video explaining the directions above. Sorry about the sound quality but all I have is the internal mic. OK, it wont let me embed the vid so lets see if I can provide a link. Reaper-Normalize on Vimeo

Last edited:
Nice of you to do Mack Caster...not sure how the end results will be but it's a way to go and appreciate you taking the time to put up a vid...

Nice of you to do Mack Caster...not sure how the end results will be but it's a way to go and appreciate you taking the time to put up a vid...

It was my pleasure. I know some Musicians like to be at that -0.1dbTP range. With what I do will audio everything has parameters. Podcasting is between a -16 and -20 LUFS, -1dbTP max and the LRA no more than 4dbs max as per the recommendations from the AES.

For the ACX Audio Books it is between a -23 to -18 dbs (RMS) with a -3dbTP max and a -60db Noise Floor max. This is mandatory.

I am down in Northern Neck Va designing a vocal recording studio so when I get out of DC, I can work from the house. I have been recording the spoken word for around 45 years.

Like I said in the vid, I don't really do music that much and when I do, it is usually from a local Church and then I just bring in the singers and they use mostly canned music. I think I am going to like your playground/sandbox! :thumbs up:

Last edited:
I suppose I could be a bit more specific...

I always try to do my mixes so that I don't really have to do anything at the Master stage, so my "mastering chain" is kind of just a little glue and some saturation which also accomplishes peak limiting. If I'm just doing a one-off, I will slap on the Master bus toward the end of the mix process and then render through it.

If I'm doing an album of separate songs, I will do that for each song, but then bypass the Master chain and render a floating point "for mastering" file. Then I put each of those "dry" files on a separate track in a new project, and lay them out across the timeline. Put a ReaEQ on each one, and insert the basic chain on the Master. Then I play through and bounce around "randomly" and adjust the individual track EQs and levels until they all feel like they belong on the same album and in the right order and both relative and absolute loudness is appropriate. I set the gap times, create regions, and then go from there to create the final distribution files.

The chain on the Master, like I said, is always simple:

ReaEQ - a "bookend" with HPF at 20 and LPF at 19K, and then a little "premphasis" almost always shelving down the bass and sometimes boosting some in the "air" frequencies. This is mostly about shaping the response of the compression that follows, and gets mostly undone.

ReaComp - with a long RMS time and a lookahead (precomp) in the middle of that window. I set the ratio as low as it goes, and widen the knee quite a bit and set the threshold so that it's almost always doing something but never really doing much. This is the exact opposite of the way most folks control their DR. It's not as exciting as clipping, but is much more transparent.

ReaEQ - another "bookend", but also almost the opposite of the first, this one is "de-emphasis", but I find that I usually don't really want to go quite as far with this one. So, if I'm shelving the bass by -3db at the front, I might shelf it back up by 2db here. It has to be done by ear and by feel, but this instance can really just be used to make any final tweaks to the frequency response that you feel necessary.

lt_diode - the JS saturator plug that I wrote to use as a sort of module, which works really well in this situation. It talks in volts, and allows some extreme settings (in case you want to use it as the clipping section of a Rat pedal ;) ), so it's a little weird for some people to use, but I have developed a "18V rail" preset that is slightly assymetrical and limits to somewhere around -1dbFS. This one is oversampled, though, so it's not really possible to say where the actual loudest peaks will be, so it is a process sometimes of rendering or playing all the way through to find the actual peak level, and then adjusting the Master fader to compensate, and then rendering again.

In a lot of ways, this is the equivalent of pushing the mix to a tape. Remember, the individual songs are already well-behaved and controlled and generally ready to go. What I'm doing now is making them sound like they live in the same space. In fact, I often mix in a little bit of continuous noise so that if you play straight through, it never actually goes silent, and you have a very subtle clue that the album is still playing. It's not really meant to emulate any specific analog gear, just kind of applying some of the principles.

If I'm dealing with other people's mixes, or trying to unfuck some of my previous disasters, I will start to get a lot more heavy handed, but in my mind that heads toward restoration, and is essentially a separate process from the actual mastering (technically pre-mastering) stage.

What I do is very similar, especially the part about putting ReaEQ on each track then jumping around "randomly" to adjust relative tone and levels. What I do on the master bus varies, but it always ends with a mastering limiter and a LUFS meter. Using an actual mastering limiter is largely a matter of convenience since you can set a ceiling and drive the signal into limiting without worrying about overs. If needed, I may do some eq and dynamics processing ahead of the mastering limiter. In some cases I'll treat individual tracks with their own dynamics processing.

I usually render my mixes as 24 bit files, but I can see how 32 float would be a good way to do it.

But that's all "audio finalizing" rather than true mastering. The actual mastering is when you make whatever it is that's going to be copied for delivery to the end user. In the case of CD there are several options: CD-R Audio, bin/cue files, DDP 2.0 files. To get there from the high bit depth/sample rate files I may take several steps. The absolute last thing done is dithering/truncation. If the sample rate has to be reduced to get to 44.1, I'll do that first. Since I usually do the sequencing when I do the audio finalizing, I can render that whole session as one 24 bit file (though 32 float would be good here) and open it in another session where I add markers, metadata and dither/truncate, then generate the actual master in the form of a CD-R, bin/cue files or DDP 2.0 files.

When mastering at home I'll do all the audio finalizing, up to the sample rate conversion, in Vegas Pro. If I'm delivering a CD-R with limited metadata, or bin/cue files, I'll open the audio in another Vegas Pro session to add the markers and metadata, dither/truncate, then make the master. For DDP 2.0 files I'll use Reaper with a third party DDP plugin, add markers and metadata, dither/truncate, then make the master.

DDP 2.0 files have several advantages. They have built in error checking so you can send them over the internet with confidence. You can add a ton of metadata: artist name, album name, album UPC, song names, ISRC, genre.

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. I have given the Rea efx a try. Although I'm not sure how to use them exactly. Which brings me to other questions. But first a little background on me, what I'm doing and what I'd like to accomplish.

I'm older than many of you I suppose. 67. Been playing since I'm 14. Play guitar (half assesd) and some keyboards (quarter assed)?. I built my own little studio in my basement years back and it works well. I have a fair mount of equipment, guitars, keyboards, mics and even a drum kit.

I've never really understood sound from the mixer side. I played when we just plugged in and sang through an "amp". Now I'm trying to understand and use much more. I used to record from a Roland VS 1680,and before that tape. Now recording using Behringer XR18 via XAir Edit to laptop/Reaper.

Now the questions
How do you all record?
Do you record direct from a mixer or Mic on amp?
What and how do you compress when recording, if at all?
Do you record with efx or add them later?

My goal is to record a lifetime of original songs. I have the time now to do this and do it right, I hope.

Thanks again to all who have replied and those who hopefully will continue to help and guide me with my project.

Don.....

I'd suggest you first browse this forum. Most of the questions you've asked have been "discussed" over and over again around here. If you still have questions, post them in their own threads cause this one is pretty specialized, and might not get as much attention as somewhere else. I'm pretty sure that what you'll find is that there is no real consensus on any of it and that the only way to know what works best for you is to try it and mess with it and figure out how it all works and develop your own sense of what to reach for in any given situation.

Limiter #6 is a pretty handy free VST that can give you a lot of control as well as lots of options in terms of types of comp-limiting. ReaFIR is also very cool if you use it like this. Import a song you trust or wish to emulate. Add ReaFIR to the master l/r channel. It defaults to EQ mode, in the drop down mode box choose the last option, subtract, and click yes on the box "Automatically build noise profile. Play the song you chose to emulate. After you play the song, switch the mode to "Compressor". Now, you will be able to see the average frequency curve of the song that you trust or wish to emulate. It will also display the frequency curve of your song as it plays. If you start increasing the compression ratio it will start frequency selective gain reduction wherever you track is louder than the trusted track. If you push control, you can grab the red frequency curve you built from the selected reference song and pull it closer to where your song's curve is . But even if you choose not to use the compression, seeing your curve and comparing it to a professionally mastered one is very informative. But if used gently at ratios less than 2.5 you can really impact your song in positive ways. But gently.....

Back