Marshall Amp Emulator

Joe Tessmer

Hey, guys I have been recording for a whole week now with my new FD-8! I've been having a great time and the Fostex is really easy to use. I have a Fender strat, a RP-7 and an Marshall VS100. I have been searching for a good distorted gutiar sound and having little success. I have used the RP-7 direct to the F-8 and Miked the amp with a SM-57. My question is my amp has a "emulator" jack on the back, can I plug this right into the board?

Also if anyone has a Mesa Boogie amp tell me if they are really worth the money, Chreistmas is coming!

Thanks guys

You should be able to go from the "emulator" jack straight into your board. Something you might want to try for a better recorded sound use both sources: Mic your cab and use the direct. Pan on to the left and the other to the right. Do some experimentation, you'll be surprised on what you can get out of it.

BTW: I have a Mesa Boogie tube amp, and it sounds great. I am using an ADA MP2 for the pre-amp. Since my rig is stereo, I am using a Mesa Boogie 1 12" Cab for one side and a Marshall 1 12" Cab for the other. Best sounding rig I ever had.

[This message has been edited by Fishmed (edited 12-07-1999).]

Joe:

I've got a Boogie I've had for 14 years and I wouldn't get rid of it for any reason. Mine is the SOB which is a no frills 60W 1x12 they made for a couple of years in the mid 80's. I recently saw a used one in a music store in Shreveport, LA going for $100 more than I paid for mine new. So obviously they increase in value.

Completely worth the money. My set up is an RP12 (very similar in sound quality and patches to an RP7). I have never been happier with my sound. I also use an SM57 to mic it.

Also, Like Fishmed, I have run my rig stereo through the boogie and a tube Marshall in the past....best sounding rig I've ever had.

dmc

Joe:

Say yes to the boogie...

I had an SOB, which was nice but then traded it for a Mark III, which was like anything worth having...you don't know what you got until you no longer have it. I have never been pleased with my sound since I got rid of the Mark III. It was a separate head and speaker cabinet and was just too big to lug around.

I'm still in mourning however...

Thanks for the info guys, I tried the line out last night and I got no signal! I think my amp has a problem as well as have some crackle in the speaker. I think from reading more about the POD I will make the trip to my local music store and trade my RP-7 for a POD. I will loose the Wah effect and exspression pedal that I really don't use anyway. But I can't afford a Boogie right now. I'll sell the Rp-7 with manual in mint condition for $175.00 if anyone is interested.

Thanks again

Joe:

If you are planning on recording direct then the POD would be a wise decision. If you are planning on using the POD as a preamp to your Marshall, I would think twice about trading the RP7 for it.

I have worked with the POD for hours on end as a preamp, using every conceivable set up and the sound blows. For live performances, you could run the POD through a board to get a decent sound, but if you want to use your Marshall. and you are happy with the RP7 as a preamp, I'd definitely keep it too. I kept my RP12 for this very reason, and am very happy that I did.

dmc

P.S. When micing the Marshall, are you turning down the gain? It has been my experience, and I think I've read it somewhere too, that you need about 1/2 as much gain as you think you do for micing a cabinet when recording. High gain seems to really muddy up the recorded sound, and what seems like not enough coming from my amp, sounds just right when recorded.

Yeah, DMC
I plan on using the POD"if I get one" direct to the board for recording. I dont play out anymore at least not for ten yeras now. So even micing the amp and playing at night is a problem for me(wife and two small boys). that's why the POD looks like a good choice. And I have turned down the gain on the Marshall, I have now noticed a crackle in the speaker or somewhere that before I recorded the amp I never noticed, I have to make a change somewhere. I have recorded my first song and the only thing the sounds like shit is my distorted guitar! I know the Amp is going to go eventually but maybe the POD for now will make my song writing and recording more of what I need it to be. I just feel my wallet getting thinner as i speak.

Thanks again!

Back