Making Vocals Sound Deeper?

S2121

hey all. firstly sorry if this is a double post but my pc froze the first time itried to post. anyway im new to recording but im picking it up fairly quickly...im hoping someone here can help me out tho...im using acid pro 4.0 & cool edit pro 2.0 to record and im very confused by all the fx features (reverb, delay, etc.)...anyone know a good way to make a voice sound deepr/more bass? ive improved the overall sound of vocals but i still want to know how to add more fullness to the sound..if anyone has any advice id greatly apprecaite it. thanks.

S2121 said:
hey all. firstly sorry if this is a double post but my pc froze the first time itried to post. anyway im new to recording but im picking it up fairly quickly...im hoping someone here can help me out tho...im using acid pro 4.0 & cool edit pro 2.0 to record and im very confused by all the fx features (reverb, delay, etc.)...anyone know a good way to make a voice sound deepr/more bass? ive improved the overall sound of vocals but i still want to know how to add more fullness to the sound..if anyone has any advice id greatly apprecaite it. thanks.
Are you double tracking the vocals by singing them twice? Also changing out the mic you are using could help. I used an Audio Techinica Pro 31, and the vocals were too bassy for my taste. You could try that.

TC Helicon voice modeling technology as found on the TC Powercore is the closest you're going to get.

You're not actually using the plugins that came with Cool Edit Pro are you? ::SHUDDER::

Find some freeware ones on the net. They will blow those rancid plugs out of the water.

There isn't necessarily a "one-size-fits-all" solution to this, but some suggestions:

1 - double tracking, as mentioned by Rokket.
2 - dupe/bounce the existing vocal track to a new track, and apply a slight delay to it. Pan one track more to the left, one more to the right.
3 - EQ :)
4 - Reverb, when used sparingly, can help to make a vocal track more natural sounding.
5 - Use something like an Aural Exciter (available in both hardware or software/plugin form from BBE).
6 - Experiment with plugins - there are a wealth of plugins that you can use to shape a signal.

Cheers.

Sing lower frequency notes. Get closer to the mic (for proximity effect). I really doubt this is a software issue. Certainly you can add EQ or use a Bass-boosting plugin (I use Baxxxpander for bass guitar parts, which seems to beef them up), but the solution is to record a signal with stronger bass. Maybe you could enlighten us to what the voice sounds like that you are recording and your signal chain (mic, pre, soundcard).

here is a CoolEdit trick that I'm sure many here have discovered on their own, but here it is just the same:

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=145742

it sounds complicated when I see it all written out in instruction-manual form, but it's really simple. last christmas i took Johnny Mathis' version of "White Christmas" & added a bunch of background vocal tracks to it so when I was done it sounded like he had a bunch of ogres singing backup for him. we put it on a Christmas mix CD with otherwise normal Xmas songs and played it in our store in the mall... definitely turned a few heads of confused customers. don't worry, this trick can be used subtly too. but like the others said, microphones & preamps definitely work best to make the bass come out in vocals.

Last edited:
thanks for the help...you guys are great. actually yes im still using the stock plug-ins for cool edit...i know where to get more plug-ins, but how do i install them to the program? do they automatically unzip to the cool edit registry or are there certain steps i have to take to associate the new plug-ins with cool edit?

If I remember correctly under effects there is an option for finding new plugins. Forget what they call it. It's simple though.

CEP only takes DX plugins if I'm not mistaken. I dunno, I used it a few years ago when I was in a major pinch and my G4 died (with my beloved Digital Performer and Waves Plat on it) and had to use it for an album.

My chief complaints are that it isn't very robust and the reliability isn't very good. The VST incompatability was irritating. The interface is, however, one of the better ones out there for doing really weird sound collages.

Definately find the free Voxengo and DigitalFishPhones plugins. They are *excellent* sounding. The Blockfish compressor I use on stuff *ALL* the time when I need to make it obsenely heavy sounding.

Try to find a plug called Dominion as well. It's like a SPL Transient Designer mated with an aural exciter and tube saturation device. Great fun for mutating audio.

thanks again for the help you guys are all really helpful...ill be sure to post again if i need some more help( which is highly probable). by the way i dunno if you guys know this but if you use limewire you can pretty much download any and all plug ins you want for free. just a tip...thanks again.

Back