Making my microphone sound professional?

You don't need a mixer unless you have stuff you want to leave connected to it for monitoring purposes or need preamps for multi-micing drums or multiple instruments at the same time.

Most if not all of the USB interfaces come with software mixers that will sum your recordings down to two tracks for playback.

Check out the Scarlett interfaces from Focusrite. They have built-in preamps with phantom power.

Thanks for your reply. The Scarlett series look extremely affordable and extremely good looking. I noticed that there is a "Scarlett Studio" package which comes with a CM25 at an extremely low price, do you have any experience with the CM25 and able to vouch for its sound or should I get an SM7B?

Is it worth getting an "Editorskeys Portable Vocal Booth Home Edition" (a quick google search shows that some Scarlett Studio packages come with some sort of booth. Do they help?

Is a decent soundcard still required when using a USB interface?

The USB interface is the soundcard.

I can't vouch for the Scarlett or the CM25, the Scarlett is just a suggestion of what you should be looking for in terms of a preamp/interface combo.

Never used any of those portable booth things either. They are only going to partially isolate stuff from the back and sides of the mic, and in the case of a cardioid-pattern mic the back is the null of the pattern anyway. If you've got a refridgerator in the next room, or AC, or a tv on in another room those booth things aren't going to help with that.

The first time I fired up a condensor mic in my living room I had the windows open and could here kids playing halfway down the block.

Maybe somebody else will chime in about the portable booth thing.

The USB interface is the soundcard.

I can't vouch for the Scarlett or the CM25, the Scarlett is just a suggestion of what you should be looking for in terms of a preamp/interface combo.

Never used any of those portable booth things either. They are only going to partially isolate stuff from the back and sides of the mic, and in the case of a cardioid-pattern mic the back is the null of the pattern anyway. If you've got a refridgerator in the next room, or AC, or a tv on in another room those booth things aren't going to help with that.

The first time I fired up a condensor mic in my living room I had the windows open and could here kids playing halfway down the block.

Maybe somebody else will chime in about the portable booth thing.

I've never use one either, but from the many reviews & posts I've read about them, they are a complete waste of money and are NOT the panacea the manufacturers would have you believe.

And they smell.

You'll be a lot better off, in my opinion, if you build yourself a few bass traps, and maybe look at an SE Reflexion Filter, or something similar.

I've never use one either, but from the many reviews & posts I've read about them, they are a complete waste of money and are NOT the panacea the manufacturers would have you believe.

And they smell.

You'll be a lot better off, in my opinion, if you build yourself a few bass traps, and maybe look at an SE Reflexion Filter, or something similar.

I was looking like that: gear4music (dot) com/Recording-and-Computers/Focusrite-Scarlett-Studio-Vocalist-Recording-Bundle/P71?origin=product-ads&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+Focusrite&utm_content=pbC8QSxB|dc_pcrid_31432453279_plid__kword__match__]Focusrite Scarlett Studio Vocalist Recording Bundle at Gear4Music.com

Looks like it comes with some sort of "reflexion filter", maybe it'll be worth buying the studio bundle as some sort of "backup" microphone.

Is there anyway I can use the DBX 286s with the Scarlett interface? It's extremely cheap and gives me some compression settings.

But the TRS is line level voltage, the XLR is mic level voltage. If you're using a mic, use the XLR connector.

Ah, that's what happens when you skim through a thread. :( :D

Then definitely 1/4" TRS and NOT XLR. The XLR is for mic's and you would be going through another mic pre. One mic pre on the dbx and one mic pre on the 2i2. That may not always sound good. So, definitely come out of the dbx with 1/4" to the 2i2.

First of all a USB mic will only sound good if you have a proper sound card designed for recording in your computer. Usually the sound card in the computer is not designed for serious recording. First of all try getting a computer interface which is really an external soundcard designed for recording. I don't own a USB mic because my computer interface does not work with one. I am not familiar with Blue Yeti quality. I have heard they are good but the real gold standard is the Neumann mics. I have had my mics modified to replace the cheap chinese components at the least and also to replace the capsule with a Neumann copy. They do a nice job. A pre-amp is not going to help you on a condenser mic. It can be helpful on a tube mic and sometimes on a ribbon mic. I have a ribbon mic that I use that does not need a pre-amp.

As has already been pointed out, a USB mic would completely bypass any sound interface. Frankly, if somebody spent money based on your totally incorrect advice I hope they sue you.

Use some sound treatment software while recording or using the mic for live performance. The mic has nothing to deal with performance of the sound you produce with it. That's why be cautious.

The mic...along with lots of other things...has TONS to do with the performance of the sound. Don't try to fix things by processing faults. Fix the faults.

Thanks for the replies so far. Do I need to run my input through a compressor or something similar?

Yes, to sound like Radio 1 you'll need compression and lots of it. How you achieve that in your radio software I don't know. In a real studio it's done mainly on the output to the transmitter, not on the input to the mixer.

A condenser usb mic will not sound like a 'radio mic'.

The standard radio mics are dynamics - Shure SM7, EV RE-20 or Sennheiser MD-421's on far better preamps and gear than in a usb mics.

Plus, 3/4 or more of your 'sound' is the room you are in.

And finally (from someone who did radio news for a few years) your voice and presentation is a lot of it.

Sorry Tim but your advice is only for the USA. BBC Radio 1 (which was the OP's example of his ideal) uses almost exclusively condenser mics--the British taste is for a lot more crisp sound and large dynamics sound very flat to European ears.

Spot on about the room acoustics though...walk into a professional radio studio and you'll be shocked at just how dead the acoustic is. It can actually be disconcerting. To be clear, acoustics for voice/radio work and for music are very different in what you want to achieve. For music you want a nice sounding room, for radio you want room with no natural atmosphere at all.

Now, for the OP.

Your Yeti can sound perfectly fine. I might have recommended an XLR mic and interface if asked but the Yeti can sound darn near the Radio 1 sound you want.

The big things will be:

Room acoustics. Pro treatment is great. If that's not possible (and last voice both I treated cost over 25,000 pounds once consultant fees were figured in) build yourself some L shaped frames out of cheap PVC pipe and clamp movers blankets or duvets to them to pretty much surround yourself.

Mic technique. Teach yourself to use your "chest voice" rather than "throat voice". You'll be amazed at the difference.

Mic technique 2. Get a pop screen and get up close and personal with the mic. Working close causes a proximity effect which emphasises the low frequencies and helps you have a radio voice.

Compression: Radio 1 is heavily compressed, first in the studio then even more at the the transmitter (using a disgusting box called an Orban Optimod). You'll have to work out how to combine your radio software and compression.

Apologies if lots of this has been covered in the intervening pages--I'm fresh out of hospital and got so annoyed at the totally incorrect and potentially costly advice on the first couple of pages that I gave up reading and started ranting.

do not have to use an expensive recording tool .. Sample in my youtube video channel (Toms homerecord) that I used only a guitar amp> electric or acoustic guitar> mixer> and the last one is a laptop that I fill with a recording software. I record all the way live recording ... you can use that tehnique if you want take vocal sound seems like on the radio

As has already been pointed out, a USB mic would completely bypass any sound interface. Frankly, if somebody spent money based on your totally incorrect advice I hope they sue you.

The mic...along with lots of other things...has TONS to do with the performance of the sound. Don't try to fix things by processing faults. Fix the faults.

Yes, to sound like Radio 1 you'll need compression and lots of it. How you achieve that in your radio software I don't know. In a real studio it's done mainly on the output to the transmitter, not on the input to the mixer.

Sorry Tim but your advice is only for the USA. BBC Radio 1 (which was the OP's example of his ideal) uses almost exclusively condenser mics--the British taste is for a lot more crisp sound and large dynamics sound very flat to European ears.

Spot on about the room acoustics though...walk into a professional radio studio and you'll be shocked at just how dead the acoustic is. It can actually be disconcerting. To be clear, acoustics for voice/radio work and for music are very different in what you want to achieve. For music you want a nice sounding room, for radio you want room with no natural atmosphere at all.

Now, for the OP.

Your Yeti can sound perfectly fine. I might have recommended an XLR mic and interface if asked but the Yeti can sound darn near the Radio 1 sound you want.

The big things will be:

Room acoustics. Pro treatment is great. If that's not possible (and last voice both I treated cost over 25,000 pounds once consultant fees were figured in) build yourself some L shaped frames out of cheap PVC pipe and clamp movers blankets or duvets to them to pretty much surround yourself.

Mic technique. Teach yourself to use your "chest voice" rather than "throat voice". You'll be amazed at the difference.

Mic technique 2. Get a pop screen and get up close and personal with the mic. Working close causes a proximity effect which emphasises the low frequencies and helps you have a radio voice.

Compression: Radio 1 is heavily compressed, first in the studio then even more at the the transmitter (using a disgusting box called an Orban Optimod). You'll have to work out how to combine your radio software and compression.

Apologies if lots of this has been covered in the intervening pages--I'm fresh out of hospital and got so annoyed at the totally incorrect and potentially costly advice on the first couple of pages that I gave up reading and started ranting.

Thanks for the extremely detailed response. Do you not think that a dynamic would sound better? I've been looking at some videos and it seems that condensers sound flat compared to dynamics.

It turns out I can use VSTs in my broadcasting software if there's any plugins that you guys can recommend, it's probably better if I get a new mic, anyway.

Is there any way I can use VSTs "live"? It'd be pretty cool to compress my microphone while in a Skype call, like VAC for VSTs, but again it'd probably be better going for an XLR mic and going for the 286s.

Thanks for the extremely detailed response. Do you not think that a dynamic would sound better? I've been looking at some videos and it seems that condensers sound flat compared to dynamics.

It'll sound "different" not better or worse so it really depends on what sound you're after. You mentioned Radio 1 as your "ideal" and they certainly have pretty well totally condensers (along with Capital and most other UK radio stations).

One advantage you'd have with a dynamic is that they have a much lower sensitivity so they're less critical about the acoustic treatment of the room. As always, there's a trade off though...you'll need an interface that offers lots of clean gain or you'll start to hear hiss.

Me? I prefer the condenser sound and would put the effort into acoustic treatment rather than replacing the Yeti which can sound pretty darn good.

Edited to add: As luck would have it, here's a story from today's Daily Fail which shows the standard RADIO 1 CONDENSER
pretty clearly!

Oh, and taking myself on a trip down memory lane, here's the Radio 1 studios (in the earlier 2000s at least--I suspect they may now be in the new Broadcast House) at 152 Great Portland Street. That next door to the right at 150 Great Portland Street is the last UK TV studio facility I built...and the next door (well, staircase) on the left is Needles Wine Bar where many a drunken evening was had involving engineers from Radio 1 and the place I worked.

yldg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It'll sound "different" not better or worse so it really depends on what sound you're after. You mentioned Radio 1 as your "ideal" and they certainly have pretty well totally condensers (along with Capital and most other UK radio stations).

One advantage you'd have with a dynamic is that they have a much lower sensitivity so they're less critical about the acoustic treatment of the room. As always, there's a trade off though...you'll need an interface that offers lots of clean gain or you'll start to hear hiss.

Me? I prefer the condenser sound and would put the effort into acoustic treatment rather than replacing the Yeti which can sound pretty darn good.

Edited to add: As luck would have it, here's a story from today's Daily Fail which shows the standard RADIO 1 CONDENSER
pretty clearly!

Oh, and taking myself on a trip down memory lane, here's the Radio 1 studios (in the earlier 2000s at least--I suspect they may now be in the new Broadcast House) at 152 Great Portland Street. That next door to the right at 150 Great Portland Street is the last UK TV studio facility I built...and the next door (well, staircase) on the left is Needles Wine Bar where many a drunken evening was had involving engineers from Radio 1 and the place I worked.

View attachment 83613

Since technically if you saw my setup I would sort of be classed as a "bedroom DJ", I have a little setup in my bedroom, with a server rack hosting my SHOUTcast server and a few other things and a computer primarily used for broadcasting, I don't think acoustic treatment would be a viable option unless I use one of those pre-made "vocal booths". Thanks for the picture. I'm attempting to make my Yeti sound good with some compression and some sort of phase rotator, I don't know whether the settings are good or not, though. I really have no idea what sounds good or not and would probably be better using some sort of "preset" configuration. I don't think using a USB mic would be better in the long-run, either. I've heard that an SM7B and a 286s would sound brilliant but I've not really heard any mic comparisons between the Yeti and the SM7B.

Here's my configuration. One thing I've noticed is that if I get up and close with the mic then it gets way too boomy, like my voice gets inaudible.

FfaGqdD.png

OX6Hjdx.png

kpN57kN.png

EpDr34u.png

(plugin has no configuration)

kHt4NT8.png

(I have no idea what I was doing here, but a friend told me it sounded OK when I moved a little bit away from the mic)

Can anyone recommend me some settings? Thanks.

Looking at your menus, have a play with the one marked "dual band processor". Change it to compressor from limiter. Alas, the settings will have to be adjusted to suit your set up...for voice maybe try a threshold of -15db, a very low attack (1 or 2 ms) and a release of 300ms or so. Ratio? Hmmm....maybe 2.5:1 but all these are subject to change. (Music purists...don't forget we're going for radio DJ sound here, not sensitive music!)

Remember that these are the most basic starting points though--you'll have to experiment and listen. A good tutorial on compression settings can be found at RANE NOTES.

On the boominess of working up close, to some extent that's exactly what most voice artists are after...if it gets too much back off a bit or go for the full proximity effect then control the bass with the EQ in your software.

For anyone interested I actually found a few plugins on Claesson Edwards - Claesson Edwards and the WinAmp website that I now run my all my output through.

First I run my output through a Phase Rotator which I found on the first website I mentioned above, then I run it through AudioProc which I found on the WinAmp website and have now purchased, it runs my output through various filters and has an FM Stereo preset, the FM Stereo sounds pretty good and I'm sticking with the preset, here's what it runs through:

R1bmWWh.png

I then run it through Bass-EFX (Enchancer) on the first website and then Impact/Clunk also found on the first website. If anyone finds or can recommend a better order or better plugins feel free to mention them. Thanks.

0Taiu5C.png

Back