making the bass drum roll

Bolverk

In some techno songs the bass drum does this roll sound
Is that some kind of vst or dx that i can use to make it do that or should i program it to do that?

I will work on it tomorrow and let you know if it worked
For some reason i thought it was just some effect that did it
But i am a newbie so i will give it a try

Jblount said:
Fruity loops. definitely:D , But pick a bass drum sound that wont be too thuddy.

with all the fx adjustments on the new studio 4 you can twist any old drum sound into a pro sample, words can't describe it, god like imho...

toby rules no doubt...

personally, id grab a beta 52 and a sm57 , a pearl double base pedal a nice bass drum and call in my bud to play it... btu thats just me, i like amking things hard, and i love seeing his kit

personally, id grab a beta 52 and a sm57 , a pearl double base pedal a nice bass drum and call in my bud to play it... btu thats just me, i like amking things hard, and i love seeing his kit

He's talking about electronica beats. There is NO WAY you are going to get the right sound out an acoustic kit without triggers. The hits are too fast (unless your buddy can do double strokes with the kick pedals, and if he can, I'd love to hear it, it'd be very cool). And the acoustic kit won't decay fast enough even if the drummer could play that fast.

It depends on how fast you want him to play double strokes. I can play double double strokes at 16th notes at about 110Bpm. Any faster and I doubt it would sound like a bass drum. It would probably turn to a mash of fundamental subsonic noise!

A lot of roland "groove boxes" have a roll feature built in that allow you to use subtle variations of timing and velocity in the roll. Another thought is use an arpegiator stuck on one note. Personally, I would step sequence it myself.

It's called double bass druming (if we're talking about the same thing here) Lars is one of the best double kickers i've heard.

No, Vinnie Paul is a good double kicker, Lars is a tennis player who should have stayed in Denmark or wherever. :D

And that's not what we are talking about. He asked about techno songs. Does no one listen to techno here? I mean I don't listen to a lot, but if you listen to some gabber or hardcore techno, you can hear these crazy fast bass drum rolls that are probably a drum machine timed really fast. I really don't think it's possible with an acoustic kit. Just too many overtones on an acoustic drum.

But maybe I'm wrong. If somebody posts a sample of this effect done with an acoustic kit, I'll admit I'm in error.:cool:

I think you are right, I dont think you would be happy with the sound of an acoustic drum for that purpose. You could try an E drum and use double bass, but I can play faster than the pad can respond most of the time.

Back