m-audio 410 with m powered pro-tools vs. m-box 2 with pro-tools le

sewellnc

So recently i have been forced to make a choice...I have narrowed down my options and can't decide if I should buy an m-audio 410 interface and m powered pro-tools 7 software or the m-box 2 with pro-tools le. In terms of an interface, the m-audio sounds like a better deal and it is firewire, however I am not really familiar with the m powered pro-tools...i will be recording vocals, guitar, possibly some simple drumset, and i want to add some stuff in with a program like reason or something similar however im new to recording so i will have to learn how to use all of this. I am on a windows xp laptop and it is compatible with both interfaces...any comments or suggestions?

For sound quality I would got for the Mbox. Since it has a small number of inputs the usb limitation isn't a big issue since it isn't sending that much data. I've used m-audio stuff in the past and personally find the preamps are really lacking...can't say for sure on the 410 interface though. As far as the difference between m-powered and le it should be negligible. They are probably the exact same.

Pro Tools M-Powered and Pro Tools LE are almost exactly the same, and look and function exactly the same. The main difference is that M-Powered won't accept the DV toolkit, which is an extra plugins and features package that you wouldn't need anyway.

You'll need more than 2 channels to record a drum kit, so I'd go for the 410.

There's also a firewire version of the m-box if you're prepared to pay extra for....well the name name I guess

ya the firewire is the mbox2 pro
it basically just has a bunch of stuff that i dont really need
i think the thing im most worried about is based on some reviews some people have said they had to reload the drivers on their m-audio interface numerous times...in my mind it seems like one benefit would be if i got that instead of the mobox2 is im not glued to protools incase i dont find it to everything i want or i dont feel as though i know how to run it as well as another program which could be used with the maudio

i dont know
i just can't decide which interface best suits my needs...the m-audio is cheaper and sounds like everything i need however i haven't heard the best reviews from it

and the mbox2 seems nice however its usb and more expensive

hm what to do

just accept the fact you can't escape pro tools. it's the 1000 lb gorilla in the room for sure.

sewellnc said:
and the mbox2 seems nice however its usb and more expensive
First of all, don't worry about the USB vs. FW part of the equation unless you are short of USB ports on the computer side. But on the interface side, there is no relevant difference between the two for the purpose of these boxes. There is more than enough performance and bandwith available with either interface type to make it a non-issue at this level.

G.

Back