Low impedance DI box output vs high impedance audio interface input

MajsterOdTapet

I'd like to record some bass and guitar at home. What I have - besides instruments and combo - is MXR M80 effect/DI box. I consider buying some audio interface and mic in order to record both 'wet' and 'dry' tracks. (I guess it's all pretty obvious to you experts but as a newbie I'm trying to put everything as clear as I can). Most basic audio interfaces have low impedance XLR input and high impedance (instrument level) jack input. So, supposing I get one, what do I actually do?

a) Use my MXR as DI box and send (what I believe to be) a low impedance signal from its XLR to audio interface high impedance jack (interface's XLR is connected to the mic). Seems like I'm DI'ying the signal twice (at MXR and interface). Is it an issue or do I just manage this with proper knobs setup?
b) Keep away from MXR DI box function and buy a jack splitter.
c) Something else. I have no recording experience nor Physics degree and I might have messed up the facts.

Thanks in advance for an advice.

I cannot offer advice as to the best way to record bass an guitar, others here FAR better qualified.

What I CAN do is help you through some of the technicalities, pitfalls and maybe makes suggestions?
First off. There is no reason NOT to use that DI box. If you like and want the FX it gives you then go for it. The noise gate could be especially useful (or a PITA!).

Yes, you need an Interface, avoid the bottom feeding Focusrites IMHO and look at the Steinberg UR22 or a Roland. Even the Behringers seem pretty good.

The DI box should feed the MICROPHONE input of the AI and I would use the phantom power function as it will probably give you the greatest headroom. But, you could use the box on battery power and feed the jack output to a line (not instr) input on the AI. No right or wrong here.

It is not clear from the (piss poor!) "manual" whether the DI box gives you a clean and dry split output? If so that could be fed to the AI's instr high Z input giving you a wet/dry pair of tracks.

You cold record dry then use the box as a re amp device. Googl "re amp".

Use your imagination. You cannot damage anything by "plugging about".

*Phantom power is removed if you earth lift the device to cure a ground/earth loop. This is a design cop out. For 150 quid I would expect phantom power AND earth isolation.

Dave.

Typically the options would be some combo of; inst into the interface's isnt 1/4 in, mic to the xlr,, or inst into a D/I and that to the xlr mic in- for providing a hi-z to low-z conversion when you don't have one on the interface.
You could kludge together an xlr out of a D/I into a 1/4 inst input- nothing bad would happen. (the impedance combo would be fine, as long as the level are ok.

The M80 has a 'parallel output' jack, designed to use a tuner, but you could use it as a direct instrument-level send to the audio interface - send the balanced XLR output to an XLR input on the interface at the same time, record each to different tracks, so you have your dry signal (from the parallel output) and the FXed signal .

And I am obliged to all of you gentlemen. I'll buy an AI (Behringer U-Phoria UM2 maybe) and experiment a bit and then I might start asking some more practical and precise questions. :D

I got me a Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 and I got lost.

First, recording with Audacity - what host and recording device do I choose at Audacity's preferences? It somehow works with 'Windows DirectSound' and 'Microphone (USB Audio CODEC )', respectively, but there should also be some Behringer option available, shouldn't it?

I downloaded some UMC22 dedicated software from Behringer site. There are VST effects, hosts and instruments (and Audacity installer). Effects work pretty well when added to Audacity. Yet I guess first I should use some amp simulator (I recorded what I believe to be a dry signal from forementioned M80's parallel output). I don't even know what to do with the host thing.

(I do not necessarily stick to Audacity. It's just what I have some basic experience with. I feel downloading more and more software at the moment would just get me drowned even deeper).

All the info I need is probably out there on the net but I'd rather practice playing than spend hours on mostly ineffective research. Any tips or maybe just a link to a step-by-step solution for a newbie?

EDIT: OK, I'm moving forward. Downloaded AmpliTube 4 which seems to see Behringer's ASIO driver. There are all those preamps, EQs, amps and effects I can go through. My question is what's the difference beetween setups:
- USB Audio Codec on ASIO4ALL program; ASIO as 'Technology' in AmpliTube,
- leaving ASIO4ALL alone; DirectSound as 'Technology' and Microphone (USB Audio Codec ) as 'Input Device' in AmpliTube?
Both seem to work, but there must be some reason to use ASIO4ALL...

Last edited:
Back