Low cost active near field monitors

CaliGal

Music Industry Veteran
I’m looking for suggestions on desktop monitors (5” or smaller) for performance (keyboard) and mixing - for hobby use as I’ve retired from the biz and don’t want to spend a lot on gear at this point. At one point I was using Dynaudio, Genelec and similar so I have good ears and don’t want pure junk - especially anything with static hum, buzz or other anomalies - that wouldn’t do at all. Obviously they wouldn’t have great bass, but a little kick would be nice.

Anyway, I see brands like M Audio, Behringer, Alesis, and even Mackie CR4 (seemed interesting as they used to be a good name once). So any suggestions would be welcome. Probably anything from sub $100/pair up to $250/pair new - used could also be a consideration.

Thanks in advance for ideas!

Thanks - I hadn't heard of the Equator D5 but on reading up they look like a decent option but do seem to hold right around $400/pair. I was also looking at M-Audio BX5 D2 for $160/pair new - seems like one couldn't lose at that price...but...

CaliGal, are you just starting into home recording/mixing/tracking/whatever, or are you pretty sure you will stick with it?
Reason I ask: If you're just starting out, you will not want to budget heavy for obvious reasons, like "I can't believe I wasted that much money and I don't even like doing this."
But, that's a two edged sword. If you get equipment that is mediocre, you will find your enjoyment value is mediocre. If you buy good to great equipment, you will be happier with your choices and your hobby.
i.e. A $30 RC helicopter is where most hobbyists start...and end. Because they're cheap, brittle and hard to control. A $100 RC helicopter is much more enjoyable, and lets you build up to the $300+ units that are REALLY fun.
That said, if you are sure this is what you want to do as a hobby, then by ALL means save some money and get some good speakers. You will not be disappointed.

The JBL LSR305's can be had for around $300 a pair. Sometimes they're on sale. They get very good reviews........and I have them......along with a pair of 5" Tannoy's and 6" KRK's........and the JBL's are the best of the three by far. The lows seem to be especially accurate on the JBL's and they have a very nice range. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks everyone for some good suggestions - keep them coming!

The Equators are tempting but more than the budget. $380/pair.
Alesis are in range but the M1 are quite old design - the Elevate and M1/520 are new so I wonder how they compare? (Alesis is one brand I read complaint about static buzz and hum with.)
Mackie MR5 MK3 hasn't had mention yet but was one I was seriously looking at... - $250/pair new or $200/refurbs
The JBL LSR305 is one I hadn't considered - so another good suggestion and I've seen pretty good reviews so far. $200/pair used
Tannoy Reveal 502 - some possible defects - otherwise good reports - $180/new-refurbs - maybe brighter than the JBL LSR305.
Rokit 5 G2 comes up now and again too...but mixed and marginal reviews
M-Audio - I've pretty much dismissed them along with Behringer & company - too cheesy.

BroKen H - if you read my original post, you'd see I am not just starting and had stuck with it already. (I became a professional musician starting as a teen and worked for over 30 years in the biz ranging from clubs to stadiums, and home recording to big studios.) :-)

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Tannoy 502s or JBL LSR305.

Last edited:
KRK is a very good value if a bit outside your budget. I'd buy a new set again in a heartbeat...if the old set would ever break...but they won't. I've this 8" set at least ten years. Time means nothing to them.

The Equators look good...but IDK.

The JBL's ARE good.

Heed advice telling you not to scrimp on monitors. They are a key component in any studio. Shop....and read customer reviews...paying close attention to discern the experience of the reviewer if possible. Don't rely on anything a company says about their own product. I usually buy gear based on reviews. You are wise to go on this site and ask for opinions.

The JBL LSR305's can be had for around $300 a pair. Sometimes they're on sale. They get very good reviews........and I have them......along with a pair of 5" Tannoy's and 6" KRK's........and the JBL's are the best of the three by far. The lows seem to be especially accurate on the JBL's and they have a very nice range. Just my 2 cents.

+1 on the 305s

CaliGal, are you just starting into home recording/mixing/tracking/whatever, or are you pretty sure you will stick with it?
Reason I ask: If you're just starting out, you will not want to budget heavy for obvious reasons, like "I can't believe I wasted that much money and I don't even like doing this."
But, that's a two edged sword. If you get equipment that is mediocre, you will find your enjoyment value is mediocre. If you buy good to great equipment, you will be happier with your choices and your hobby.
i.e. A $30 RC helicopter is where most hobbyists start...and end. Because they're cheap, brittle and hard to control. A $100 RC helicopter is much more enjoyable, and lets you build up to the $300+ units that are REALLY fun.
That said, if you are sure this is what you want to do as a hobby, then by ALL means save some money and get some good speakers. You will not be disappointed.

Completely off topic, but I had to say something.

Those little £20 helicopters have ended up costing me over £1500 lol. I went from a crappy little contra rotor to a belt cpx (lol). What a mountain to climb that was! I'm limited on space so a 450 is about as big as I can go, I freakin love my Blade 450X. Always puts a smile on my face when you hear people behind you 'look, that helicopters hovering upside down! How the **** is he doing that?' or 'how the hell is he going to land that?', then they see you flip it back over, shoot off in the distance, loop the loop etc. Also dig the little 130X, 12 batteries charged in 20 mins, but dayum that thing gets small fast!

Back on topic. Have a good look at Yamaha, I've always liked there sound. The HS5's won't break the bank either.

OK - thanks everyone for all the input - I've decided for now to go with the JBL LSR305 - I found a like new, used pair at GC for $200 + shipping/tax $238 total - really can't go wrong. If I don't like them I can return them locally to a store - if I get tired of them I can upgrade later or add a sub. From all the reviews and comparisons I've read these seem to be well liked by all.

I've got those JBLs, they are great - with low end down to 43Hz - however, they have a rear bass port. This means you need bass trapping behind them unless you are several feet out from the front wall.

Hi all just popping back in to say thanks again - I received the JBL LSR305 yesterday and set them up today - they sound amazing - even more so for the cost and size.... they exceeded my expectations by far. Very clean/clear and there is a tight low end as well - these will do nicely! :thumbs up:
(I'm using HF Trim @ -2 btw)

Last edited:
I'm in the Equator d5 camp. Some of the better nearfields I have heard regardless of price. Listening to program material I have been familiar with for at least 20 years, and have heard on various high end monitors, are now revealing details to me in the record/mix/mastering process that were never apparent before. I highly recommend them.

BTW, I am saying that as an owner, with no affiliation to any vested interests.

Edit: my post is relatively meaningless I see a decision has been reached.:)

I'm in the Equator d5 camp. Some of the better nearfields I have heard regardless of price. Listening to program material I have been familiar with for at least 20 years, and have heard on various high end monitors, are now revealing details to me in the record/mix/mastering process that were never apparent before. I highly recommend them.

BTW, I am saying that as an owner, with no affiliation to any vested interests.

I would agree with you - at the lower price bracket, the Equator D5 are about the best on the market and punch well above their weight.

To anyone with a low budget, I would certainly advise listening to the D5 (or D8) before making their final decision.

And, also, I have no vested interest in saying this.

Back