looking for a super basic audio recording program! audio delay problem :/

littlebluebird

Hi!

I'm new to the world of audio recording and I've been using Ableton andd Audacity but with both programs I get an noticable delay when I try to record vocals and hear my voice in my headphones live. Is there a very basic and simple voice recording program I could use to record the vocals with my USB mic an hear live feedback in my headphones?

I honestly think my computer is just too old to record vocals without delay with fancy programs.

Thanks so much if you take the time to respond! :)

Rather than change your software, dump your USB mic. Even a very basic audio interface like an Alesis iO2 has a control to give you direct hardware monitoring--this lets you monitor your mic before it goes into the computer, mixed with the pre recorded sound coming off the computer.

As attractive as a plug and play USB mic seem before you buy it, you soon hit your head against problems exactly like the monitoring latency you're having.

If you have to keep going with the USB mic, try using something like Asio4All instead of the standard driver--ASIO is designed for less latency than Windows audio--Asio4All isn't as good as a true ASIO driver but can help. Also, shut down any and all programmes you may have running in background (especially wifi and anti virus stuff) and crank the input buffer size/latency as low as you can go without dropouts.

But in answer to your first question, no, there's no recording programme that allows you to loop a mic through your computer then back out again without latency. Indeed, some of the more complex (to use) DAWs actually do better at this than the simple stuff.

Back