Looking for some feedback for drums

lavaxtris

Recorded this drum track with a friend the other day. We want to use future recordings to make our first LP.
I'm not happy with the Bass drum, but I think we just need to pull the pillow out of it. Is there anything else we should do?
We used a PDP Double Drive in a small basement room with Zildjian A cymbals. The kit is against the back wall and the mics were positioned using the technique in a Audio-Technica "Basic Drum Recording: Drums On A Budget" video, plus an extra hi-hat mic.

Gear used:
MXR 990 x2 (overheads)
MXR 991 (hi-hat)
sm57 (snare)
shure beta 52 (kick)

There is no processing on this recording at all.
https://soundcloud.com/joe-studer/ggg

Should I move the kit into the middle of the room maybe? Use different microphones? Perhaps change the position of the snare mic?
We want our end result to be a mildly soundgarden-type sound.

Toms are way louder than the rest of the kit (sounds like closer to the mic rather than being hit harder, but could be both I guess.
Kick is low in this blend, also sounds like it's missing articulation (snap') and/or could need some filtering in the box tone' range (150 -- 300? Won't know till the other balances get corrected.
Not getting much low end on the kick, but.. I'm on AKG240 phones.. so I take that under account :>)
Not sure with the snare, re tones and balances. Sounds good in the roll at 18sec.
Where are the O/H's placed?
I just realized we're hearing it it mono. > Oops- not mono! Silly me.. I just found I had the width dialed down in Totalmix. :facepalm:

I'm not hearing a ton of bad room tone, but no doubt 'drier' could help .

Last edited:
Oh yeah un-stuff that kick and go with a small pillow at most instead. If the head already has muffling (superkick 2, emad etc...) then just go with nothing. I think the rest of the kit is ok, I think the reso heads on the toms could use some tuning but other than that this sounds like it would work ok.

The overheads are placed in the recorderman position. Above the snare and behind the floor tom, facing the snare.

After spending the last hour trying to fix the site. And by the way it didn't happen.

The drumming needs to be tighter. Performance is best nailed down in tracking. The performance here is not what I would even call 'fixable'. Sorry.

Especially at 1:50 the half time is just not good. Sorry, you should re-record with better feel.

And I apologize for being honest. You can't start a song with the most important element missing.

Back