Looking for a really specific pair of cheap condensers.

John California

Alright so im looking for a matched pair of condensers for drum OH. I was in a bid war for a used pair of M-Audio Pulsar II, lost. Then i remembered seeing a link on here made by someone around here. A matched pair of condensers made by a company ive never heard of, the company seemed fairly small and off the map but the guy said they were great for the price($99) and if i remember correctly he was not a noob.
I know this is very vague but if someone wants to post a few links id be happy.
Anyways im probably not going to find them but recommendations on a matched pair of small diaphragm condensers for 100-150 would be nice. I not expecting anything great in that price range but hopefully something decent will show up. The more money i save the more Roxul i buy.

The MXL603 are in your price range and they are functional. Or really cheap and very cool look at 12guauge microphones click Here

Last edited:
Ya, ive been seeing a lot of the 603, glad to hear they arent the berhinger of mics. The 12guage look sweet, anyone heard them yet? Look small enough to potentially work in future binaural recordings that i want to do, pretty cool and great price, if i get one conformation that they don't sound like crap ill order a pair and get myself a nice bunch of roxul with the leftover money.

Ya, ive been seeing a lot of the 603, glad to hear they arent the berhinger of mics. The 12guage look sweet, anyone heard them yet? Look small enough to potentially work in future binaural recordings that i want to do, pretty cool and great price, if i get one conformation that they don't sound like crap ill order a pair and get myself a nice bunch of roxul with the leftover money.

I have only heard the sound clips on the site but there was a thread over on gearslutz.com that seemed to have a good buz

There is the Audix F15 mics, the MXL603.

And here is a little review of those shotgun mics. I actually am thinking of snagging one of each type just because I think the band I record would dig seeing them. haha

Review: 12 Gauge Microphones Red12 and Green12 | Audio Geek Zine

I have not used either the MXL set or the shotgun shell mics. I do still own a pair of F15 mics and I think they are alright (they don't get used a super amount much anymore I upgraded my SDC pair)

Hmm, the Reviews on the 12guage seem to lead me to believe that they wouldn't have the best sound quality. Though im sure it wont be bad, i think the MCA SP1 that was mentioned might provide much better sound for only $15 dollars more. True? Could i use a stereo pair of SP1 just like i would a condenser that looks more like the 603? The end of it looking like a mic made specifically for vocals is tripping me out, which way do i point it? I get that a mic does not know what it is recording but, the mics just don't make themselves seem like they are for drums.
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

When I googled cheap OH mic's awhile back those mca-sp1's popped up alot, and had numerous glowing reviews. You know, for 90-100 bucks you just gotta pick some mic's and hope they sound ok. In the world of microphones this really is very little money when compared to what you could pay.

Random note: That reviewer guy's statement ''The AT2021 mics are FASTER being a FET design" is worthy of --> :facepalm:

All of the mics he is comparing are FETs, and tube mics are also plenty capable of much more than adequate "speed" for audio frequencies . . .

When you are looking for a good price with good results in an overhead mic, look at CAD. I have never had an issue out of a CAD mic.

I've been interested in those shotgun mics for a while. I'm thinking of maybe a pair of the cardios and one of the omni. They sound like they're at least worth the $35-45.

If you need more info on Naiant mics simply find the contact details ans email Jon. I have in the past and he is more than helpful in providing details and advising on the best mics for your application
i can provide his email if needs be by pm

Im not sure if they are a bit out of budget, but the MXL 991 pencil mic's are incredible for their price, about £60 each, but sound great on anything, especially as overheads...

You may be thinking of Naiant microphones.

Check out THESE microphones!

Which one's do you like, what do you like them for, and how do they compare to others you have?

I've been interested in the X-O omnis, but the U series confuses me, I don't know what parts to buy!

If you need more info on Naiant mics simply find the contact details ans email Jon. I have in the past and he is more than helpful in providing details and advising on the best mics for your application
i can provide his email if needs be by pm

Naiant is what you're looking for. I would recommend emailing Jon directly at music@naiant.com (I think that's the email address, its on his site). If you give hime the details on what application you need mics for, he will give you an honest opinion. I've used omni's and cardioids of his, and they are great for the money. Right now I am using two of the low-noise cardioids to record stereo finger-picked acoustic guitar and everything is coming out great.

The quick answer to hpw the current series works is that his current mic series is broken into components - you buy an 'amplifier' which has a male 1/8" stereo mini jack on one end and a female XLR jack on the other. Then you buy a capsule which has the mic diaphragm on one end and a female 1/8" stereo mini jack on the other - combine the two and you have a functioning microphone. I believe the design concept behind this is that you only need to buy one amplifier component, which you can pair with any of the capsules. For me, I only need two mics at a time, so I bought two amplifiers, and for much cheaper I can buy different capsules for each amplifier.

Alright so im looking for a matched pair of condensers for drum OH. I was in a bid war for a used pair of M-Audio Pulsar II, lost. Then i remembered seeing a link on here made by someone around here. A matched pair of condensers made by a company ive never heard of, the company seemed fairly small and off the map but the guy said they were great for the price($99) and if i remember correctly he was not a noob.
I know this is very vague but if someone wants to post a few links id be happy.
Anyways im probably not going to find them but recommendations on a matched pair of small diaphragm condensers for 100-150 would be nice. I not expecting anything great in that price range but hopefully something decent will show up. The more money i save the more Roxul i buy.

Hello Mr. California! So I'm thinking you either saw someone mentioning the Naiants (like everyone else said) OR you saw these things mentioned--

K-Micro Silver Bullet Matched Pair :: Condenser Mics Trinity, Unity, Prophecy, K-10, K-micro, Silver Bullet :: Karma Mics - Dynamic mic - Condenser Microphone - Recording Microphone - San Jose, CA

Dirt cheap, and pretty good quality according to the reviews!

Back