Looking for inexpensive interview microphone (and/or microphone set-up).

aidin

I am new to audio and audio recording, but am a journalist looking to step up my game while recording interviews. I currently have no quality microphones and have looked everywhere for a good interview mic (or mics? I don't know and am currently without a set-up). I'm on a budget and would like to spend as little money as possible for average or above-average quality-- a few hundred dollars, perhaps up to 500. I know that that's probably extremely cheap but if you could help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you,
Aidin

edit: I also probably should clarify that I want this for sit-down interviews with little interfering noise, not sure if there's a name for that or something but I thought I should try and be more specific.

Last edited:
What are you using to record the microphone? Like, are you going direct into a camera, or into an audio interface, or a stand-alone recorder, or into a computer? That'll give us an idea of what kind of connections you have available, and will give us a better idea of what microphones would be appropriate.

would like to spend as little money as possible for average or above-average quality-- a few hundred dollars, perhaps up to 500. I know that that's probably extremely cheap
On the contrary; $500 would be hideous overkill. Frankly half that probably would be.

I'm guessing you're going to plug this right into your laptop, so you'd want a USB mic? If so, I'd check the Blue Yeti (about $100). Well regarded and very versatile.

What are you using to record the microphone? Like, are you going direct into a camera, or into an audio interface, or a stand-alone recorder, or into a computer? That'll give us an idea of what kind of connections you have available, and will give us a better idea of what microphones would be appropriate.

I'd ideally connect straight into the computer but I can adapt.

I also probably should clarify that I want this for sit-down interviews, not on-the-street interviews.

Sennheiser MKH mics are what the TV stations often use, however if the budget is beyond you have a look around for a secondhand Sennheiser ME80 head with a K3U body. I own 4 of these and they are great for picking up sound from a distance while rejecting surrounding sound. I have recorded heaps of Lectures when the mic needs to be out of the speakers face, I have even used them with a PA for choir type events.

They also have an internal battery if phantom is not available so you can plug them into anything with the right adaptors.

Alan.

Hi, I know a brand named COMICA, which has great cost performance, I know it on Youtube channel, you could take a look.

For sit down, face to face interviews you would find I am sure two mics recording two channels much easier to use and post edit.
Each mic can be closer to each speaker thus reducing room effects (over which you will have little or no control unlike at home) . It will also be much easier to balance the pair of you at the editing stage.

For $500 you could easily buy a very good, bus powered USB interface such as the Steinberg UR22 ($229 at SW's last I looked) and a pair of budget $100 ish mics. Now! The latter is the bind! My thought would be a pair of Small Diaphragm Capacitors similar to my AKG P150s. They are slim and unobtrusive (SM58s are not!) but maybe others have a reason to go dynamic? There are some very good dynamics about now at 1/2 the price of the Shures.

In addition to mics, cables, AI, cans and laptop you will need some small ttop stands but also a mtr square of 5mm foam to put on the table!

Dave.

Is there video involved? Basically, can you put the microphone anywhere in front of the speaker? If so, any good dynamic microphone will work in a low-ish noise environment because most of what it picks up will be the speaker. Get an SM57 maybe for $100.

If you have to keep the microphone out of a camera view then you either need a lavalier type, which is almost certainly your cheapest option, or a "shotgun" microphone. The lavalier lets you put a mic close to the speaker in a way that is not obtrusive while the shotgun can be kept out of the camera view and still reject background noise that a regular mic would pic up at that distance. (I have a RØDE NTG1 that I think is a good value. Don't own any lavaliers.)

The Shure X2U lets you connect any XLR to a USB interface. I haven't tried one, and for the price you could get a complete, USB powered interface, as others have suggested, which would be more flexible, but a little more to carry around and set up if you are going mobile.

Back