looking for a great dynamic for recording vocal

mikecoleman

I have big problem when I'M recording vocal.
here the thing!
I don't have a vocal booth, and the acoustique sucks !
I track in the living room .
i did put up some moving blanquet behind the monitor and on one hole wall. the floor is carpet too.
i'm tracking blues vocal, and I can never seem to achive the sound I 'M looking for.
I am using I rode nt1 or a alesis grove tube,depending on how I feel.
those mike are great for recording live show from a distance.
but when it come down to just vocal they suck big time.
I've tryed off axis it's a little better but still.
I don't have the budget to buy a better condenser mic.
and to be honnest I don't think they will do the job.
c'oz of the crappy room.
I can't built a vocal booth not enough room.
now I'm considering a good dynamic.
c'oz it will cut off the ambience noise.
but which one do I choose?
standard 58 does'nt give me the quality I need
budget 200 $ max

Last edited:
mikecoleman said:
I can never seem to achive the sound I 'M looking for.
What kind of sound are you looking for? You say you want a cardioid (directional) mic and you want it to be a dynamic, but your reasoning for that is somewhat spotty. And even then, there are all sorts of cardiioid dynamics that have all sorts of different sounds.

You sing the blues, If you want an old-style, gritty blues sound, try a Shure 55 or even an Astatic JT30 or something like that that will color your sound appropriately. Or if you wanted clean and modern, there's always something like the Studio Projects C1, which like your Rode is a condenser but is perhaps a bit smoother on vocals than the NT1. All those mics will fit into your budget (though the C1 plus tax or shipping will put you slightly over.)

mikecoleman said:
standard 58 does give me the quality I need.
Then what's the question? :)

G.

And if you can't manage an extra $100 me, Harvey and Chess(parov) will quite happily recommend the Beyerdynamic Soundstar MkII (either the M300 or M400) :)

does someone know about the blue dynamic ball microphone
retail 99$ nice frequency range 35 hz to 16000 khz
there dynamic with a phatom powers ?
I will use it to record blues vocal,
so it needs to be warm ,but I want clarity and space also. hard to find in a dynamic of these price.

You need "grit" - that's part of what the blues is all about. As others have said, get a SM7 or a Soundstar MkII, and run the final vocal thru a Sansamp or a distortion pedal. Not too much, just a tiny bit of added distortion, and you're home free. (I usually add it during the mixdown.)

I've had good luck using a TL Audio or HHB tube preamp running pretty hot to get a good dirty vocal sound. The HHB Radius 20 EQ goes for about $300 and it's good for manipulating/tracking just about anything that needs a soft tube sound.

I got my used Sennheiser MD441 for about $200.

Its REALLY good on just about anything. A nice bright sound with a good low end too and a fairly hot output.

Of all my mics it has become my favorite mic and am looking for a 2nd one.

I use it for a lot of stuff including vocals (rock).

I believe Stevie nicks used a 441 at one time or another for her vocals.

But I dont own a Sure sm7 (the MJ "Thriller" mic) and I have yet to hear a negative thing about that mike either.

-mike

Has anyone tried the EV/Blue Raven mic? It's a dynamic intended for live and studio vocals. Sells for $150.

The pictures of these are kind of seducing me. Looks so fine.... I know, I'm creeping myself out at this point. :o

Back