Live video

davecg321

I have a couple of songs written on piano (vocals/yamaha electric piano) I want to film the performance live (no overdubs)

I have a akg c414 and some other mics I could possibly use. I can also connect the piano via USB into my daw for use of addictive keys vst.

How would everyone go about capturing a live performance in this way.

Maybe I could just use the one mic? Lots of people have successful live music session videos using just camera mics.

Tah

Record the voice through the mic, the MIDI from the piano, and the mic on the camera. Mix the audio to your preference, render it, and lay it over the video by lining it up to the camera mic. Mute the camera mic and render the video.

...unless you're actually trying to live stream this. Then things get a bit more complicated. I end up using two computers for that sort of thing. One is running the DAW and its interface is physically patched to the interface on the other which runs the live streaming software. In Wirecast I can choose to stream video from the camera and audio from the interface. There are some ways to route audio from DAW to Wirecast on the same machine, but I haven't found one that I trust, and Wirecast uses a huge amount of CPU even for low bitrate streams, so I can't really run both on the same machine anyway.

Back