Live Recording Question

juan162

So I recorded my friend's concert on Friday. It was a concert featuring operatic soloists, as well as choral numbers (about 30 singers) with piano accompaniment. It was in a small church that was a little boomy, when empty, but was pretty good acoustically with an audience in it to soak up some sound. I ended up using a pair of cardioid oktava 012's as a main xy stereo pair (10-12 feet away from the group and about 9 feet in the air, just above and behind the conductor), oktava 319 as a piano mic, and my bluebird as a room mic. That's about all the mics I've got and I'm running into my computer via my Alesis io14.
My question is this - with my limited equipment, is this the best set up?. My stereo pair was about 10-12 feet away from the group and about 9 feet in the air, just above and behind the conductor. I was pleased with the choral recording, but had problems with 1 or 2 of the soloists with smaller voices. Their sound levels during parts of their songs were just too low, and my mics too far away from them. Because of the type of concert it was, I would not have been able to set up a solo mic. Any suggestions?
Juan

Well, if for whatever reason, you can't set up a solo mic . . . I don't know. But I'd very nicely ask the conductor if I could, and I'd pull the Bluebird from room duty for that purpose.

Just not too close if you have operatic singers. I was at a funeral on Wednesday with a tenor who was 3' from an Audix dynamic mic, and the signal was hotter than most singers who eat the mic. I love proper musicians :)

Yeah, I guess there is no way around having a solo mic in this type of circumstance. If I had to do it over again, I actually would have left out the piano mic, used the 319 for room duty, and used the bluebird maybe 4-5' out from the soloists. It turns out that I got plenty of piano through the mains and will be using little, if any feed from the piano mic.

Juan

Back