Live Recording

Carl

I am recording a live band. The has Drums,
Guitar, Bass, and vocals. I have 2 AKG C1000S Condensers going into a Porta 02.
I will record live direct to stereo on tracks 1 and 2. What are the placements for the mics?

Thank you

Carl

I just did something very similar this weekend and made some good results.
essentially: 2 mics =>2 ears

1) Panning : locate the band the way you want to hear them. All amps facing towards the center of a wide circle. Each in their appropriate L->R space.

2) "Fading" : adjust the quieter instruments closer to the circle center, louder ones further away

3) EQ: adjust the amps and instrument knobs so that they all sound good.

4) micing: Stand in the center of the circle and do what it takes to get the band sounding great. Move your head around. Place the two mics were your ears are. The mics should be perpendicular to each other.

note: spread the musicians out so a good panning is recorded, otherwise everyone will be too close together.

Just a thought. One night I was playing and we were videotaped by a friend. What was amazing was that the tape replay had everything balanced and pretty cool,even those loud pesky drums. The cymbals were also very good. Something to do with the natural compression of VHS tape I think.Sure it's not as good as miking the band but it's alot quicker. Try it you have nothing to lose and maybe a good video out of the deal

Back