A little vocal mic help if ya would

JohnBreed

I have been looking into getting my own Condenser for my live performances.

I have a recording posted below to show my voice for a reference. My recording skills are extremely limited and this is a venture for my own songwriting projects. But all this stuff I just bought... This is an open air recording unplugged with just me and the guitar singing into a AUdioTechnica AT2020 and recording with a Tascam DP-02 and it has a default "Room" reverb setting with little return... The difference between this and any performance I have ever given is huge! Now some of those mics...I don't know... But the shures and all that most small clubs have... HORRIBLE. it picks up this nasally portion of my pallet... It is rough. This grabs the little things that distract from that I can't get out of other mics. If you can judge by this; a couple questions:

What would be the best condenser for my voice for live stuff (acoustic solo act style)? (smaller diaphragm right?)(smaller patterns? or does that change the sound a lot?)(what would the effect be?) (AHHHHHH!LOL)

What would be a good upgrade on my recording mic? I know this one is large, but I used a buddy's cheaper Sterling SP model and I like the sound a bit better, I think. Any clue why? What about the better ST models of those mics? I have heard good things about the Behringer c1...? I know they are cheap too but I just dropped $130 on the AT2020 and not sure it's the best bet, still willing to make the right investment though...

I would love any other suggestions you have concerning this project, Thanks a ton... sorry for being such a NOOB

https://www.reverbnation.com/JohnnyGrant/song/25215186-hey-johnny-live-acoustic-version

Not listened to your track, but I think you're approaching things wrong by thinking of a condensor mic for live work. Shure SM58 and other mics that most clubs have (are you talking about open mics or actual gigs?) are tried-and-true live mics and should give a decent sound. IF you are hearing yourself as 'nasally' through these, you may want to look at your vocal style and how you are addressing the mic. I would think a condensor mic would be worse for a nasally voice than a dynamic that has a pronounced proximity effect.

Not listened to your track, but I think you're approaching things wrong by thinking of a condensor mic for live work. Shure SM58 and other mics that most clubs have (are you talking about open mics or actual gigs?) are tried-and-true live mics and should give a decent sound. IF you are hearing yourself as 'nasally' through these, you may want to look at your vocal style and how you are addressing the mic. I would think a condensor mic would be worse for a nasally voice than a dynamic that has a pronounced proximity effect.

Open Mics and a few house party gigs with other's equipment. The SM58 is common, for sure. I have never thought of it possibly being my attack on the mic... I am going to spend some time with that. I tend to sing with a resonance through my mask on a lot of phrases and I use the sound to create a feel... But on a dynamic that pitch that comes through that area is SOO prominent that it overwhelms everything else. I normally attack those mics straight on and close up as I was taught but I am wondering now if I need to think about head positioning more to change the sound or try and adjust my live vocal without so much mask resonance and try to just be breathy live... Mixing 2 techniques sound crazy to me so I guess I should look at my attack... ALthough, don't you think an artist should find what they feel is the best tool for the sound they are trying to create and stick to that? I am thinking find the setup with the best sound and use it, nothing else. I have read of some choices for live condenser mics... Have you had any experience with using them?

I disagree with MJB a little. There are condenser mics designed for stage work; the Shure Betas and Neumann KMS 105. A friend has the Neumann and loves it. I will agree with MJB that you wouldn't want to use a typical recording condenser mic on stage unless that stage has superb acoustics and you're using in ear monitors. A small diaphragm mic probably would not "embellish" the voice properly and it will give you a flat tone.

my two cents.

I disagree with MJB a little. There are condenser mics designed for stage work; the Shure Betas and Neumann KMS 105. A friend has the Neumann and loves it. I will agree with MJB that you wouldn't want to use a typical recording condenser mic on stage unless that stage has superb acoustics and you're using in ear monitors. A small diaphragm mic probably would not "embellish" the voice properly and it will give you a flat tone.

my two cents.

okay, Now Im getting somewhere... So there are LARGE diaphragm, live condenser mics then right? COOL! So then maybe they would have a smaller pattern and some sort of tougher design? Are they typically cardiod (the only thing I have used) or is ribbon the way to go? (I have never even heard one, I don't think).... The info when searching is over ridden with opinions its impossible to form one. I guess I should find some gigantic super music store (that does not exist in the hills of West Virginia) and go try some out... A long ride ahead I guess

Chili is right - if you want a condenser for live get a Neumann or something designed for stage work. The recording mic will pick up what it hears so if you don't like how it sounds, then it's likely a performance issue (unless you use a really crappy mic).

Chili is right - if you want a condenser for live get a Neumann or something designed for stage work. The recording mic will pick up what it hears so if you don't like how it sounds, then it's likely a performance issue (unless you use a really crappy mic).

I get that... That's what I was saying... My recording mic, I love... It gets all the inflections. Those inflections aren't powerful enough to even move a dynamic mics and what the dynamic mics accentuate are the worst parts of my voice

You guys are right, since the OP mentioned the AT2020, I was thinking of studio condensor mics. However, for a nasally voice, I would question using a mic that has a clearer defined high end than one that colors the sound. I find my singing (nasally) sounds better live through a 58 rather than the Sennheiser e835 I have.

You guys are right, since the OP mentioned the AT2020, I was thinking of studio condensor mics. However, for a nasally voice, I would question using a mic that has a clearer defined high end than one that colors the sound. I find my singing (nasally) sounds better live through a 58 rather than the Sennheiser e835 I have.

Yeah I guess I am not making myself clear... There are portions of my voice a dynamic mic doesn't pick up... You cannot hear it. With the Condensers, it's there... the nasally is there as well but not the other stuff. It accentuates the nasality, which I agree can sound good, but it doesn't work for my sound To me it's like playing some cool ass sounding beat up ole twang box of a guitar, PLUGGED IN! My roughness, the imperfections are what I like... I want to hear it true to sound

If you are particular about reproducing your voice, which is not a problem, you should really try to find a way to audition many different mics. Some local music shops will let you rent mics. Or maybe you can go to a sound reinforcement company and see if they will rent you some mics. The best way to find what you like is to try them all until you get the one you want.

Asking on a home recording forum is going to get you in the same town as the ballpark. Everyone has their own preferences and biases and may not match up with your specifics.

I'm kind of interested to hear what you think of the Shure Beta 87As if you try one.

Best wishes in your search.

There is a AT2010 Link, which is a AT2020 capsule in a hand held mic. I have never used one on stage but have in the studio when we are doing a demo with live tracked vocals and they work well for that. Good reviews at MF.

Alan.

If you are particular about reproducing your voice, which is not a problem, you should really try to find a way to audition many different mics. Some local music shops will let you rent mics. Or maybe you can go to a sound reinforcement company and see if they will rent you some mics. The best way to find what you like is to try them all until you get the one you want.

Asking on a home recording forum is going to get you in the same town as the ballpark. Everyone has their own preferences and biases and may not match up with your specifics.

I'm kind of interested to hear what you think of the Shure Beta 87As if you try one.

Best wishes in your search.

Thanks for the idea... I am going to look into finding somewhere to do that I think. A ballpark is good man, That was helpful. I got about a 2 hour drive ahead it looks like.

The difference between this and any performance I have ever given is huge! Now some of those mics...I don't know... But the shures and all that most small clubs have... HORRIBLE. it picks up this nasally portion of my pallet... It is rough.

The guys are giving you great advice but, out of interest, how do you know the above?
Has someone taken recordings of your live gigs? If not, you perception is massively skewed.

Even then a live recording of a gig in a pub/club is going to pale in comparison to a home recording. Maybe there isn't actually a problem?

Back