Line out or Preamp out?

Yo Deters:

I have a GK amp in my studio and it has a "LINE OUT" PLUG. This plug would let me run, like a bass player's 1/4 inch input, into the amp, and then out of the amp but it would bybass the speaker; the sound would go direct to the recorder, kind of like a direct box that's an amp.

If you have a pre amp, something created to make mics sound better, you plug your mic line into the INPUT of the preamp and then run another cable from the preamp's OUTPUT 1/4 inch plug [usually] and then regulate the sound according to your ears.

You can, man, run anything you want into a mic preamp. I run my synthesizer in and out of the preamp, as well as up front vocals.

Hope this helps,

Green Hornet

If I wanna run my guitar thru my amp out to my four-track, what is the difference in using line out and preamp out? What about headphone out?

I would use the line out. i think the preamp out in your case has a different use...i believe it is used to connect to another amps: power amp in, but i might be wrong on that one. the headphone out is also a line level signal and could be used for recording, but why use that when there is already a line out dedicated exactly for that. i recommend using a mic and recording the amp to see if you get a better result than the line out.
jeff

I have a Fender Stage 112.

It has Preamp Out, Line Out, PowerAmp In, and no Phone jack, but some amps do.

I was just wondering if using Line Out meant that it was "PostAmp" thereby being an amplified signal that could possibly hurt my recorder or processors.

By the way, PreAmp and Line Out both still send the signal to the speaker.

[This message has been edited by PannyDeters (edited 02-01-2000).]

Back