latency questions

davecg321

all,

When checking my latency within Cubase device manage there is always a difference between input and output latency (the output latency is always a couple of ms' more) does this matter?

I read somewhere that when recording we only concern ourselves with 'input'. Is this the case?

I can set my buffer size set low enough to achieve and record with 2-3ms of input latency. Now, my question is: does this effectively mean I hear 4-6ms of latency once the audio has done its round trip through my interface/daw and back to my headphones/monitors? or, does cubase state the overall latency within the device manager

cheers

dave

Total latency will be Input + Output. So, yeah, looks like you're getting about 6ms of latency. That's pretty good and you shouldn't notice any discernible delays.

I hadn't really paid attention to it before, but it looks like Cubase has something called ASIO Guard. Apparently, it does some sort of pre-processing on tracks that don't need realtime processing. I'm guessing it is used for playback tracks that have plugs on them but are not being recorded. Frees up resources so more are available for realtime processing and can lower latency.

Back