anyone have any insider info on these?

Bob Ross is offline Your god hates me
    Depends what you mean by "insider info"

ido1957 is offline 8K Gold Member

moresound is offline Loud Sun Studios
    New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Insider info ay?
    103 ....To win in the 4th race!

But seriously If this is to decide which microphone to purchase and I'm imagining that it's for vocals ..............if it was me I'd go with the KSM 44, but that's just me.
    Have you been able to audition these two for yourself?

♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

SouthSIDE Glen is offline independentrecording.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisson820 View Post
    Yeah, the TLM103 visits his psychiatrist the second tuesday each month, drives a Ford Fusion to work every weekday, and is cheating on the KSM44 with a Mojave Audio MA200.

The KSM44, in turn, is just happy as long as the 103 still believes that the two SM57s they take care of at home are actually his.

G.
    Glen J. Stephan,
    SouthSIDE Multimedia Productions

RECORDING RESOURCES AND INFO SITE:

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSIDE Glen View Post
    Yeah, the TLM103 visits his psychiatrist the second tuesday each month, drives a Ford Fusion to work every weekday, and is cheating on the KSM44 with a Mojave Audio MA200.

The KSM44, in turn, is just happy as long as the 103 still believes that the two SM57s they take care of at home are actually his.

G.
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

We don't want orphaned 57s running around.
    Sounds to me Glen like *Payton Place*.

♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

SouthSIDE Glen is offline independentrecording.net
    Cue William Conrad as Bullwinkle's announcer:

"Stay tuned next week as the R121 accuses the Lexicon Omega of not being man enough to satisfy her gain needs in, "Signal Chain of Fools", or, "You've Got To Be Ribbon Me"."

G.
    Glen J. Stephan,
    SouthSIDE Multimedia Productions

RECORDING RESOURCES AND INFO SITE:

oretez is offline Hwy 50

far from insider

if looking for brief verbal comparison . . . very different mics

KSM44 has been discontinued (replaced by 'a' and have no idea of what the changes entail) but nos is probably still readily available it is multipolar vs. TLM103 being cardioid

both mics lack transformers both can be considered to be solid workhorse mics not absolutely iconically stellar on anything but usable on almost everything

Each has its fans, each detractors. I'm not particularly fond of the TLM103 where as I find the KSM44 (cardioid little brother) to be, cost/benefit-wise, solid additions to mic locker

my subjective reaction to TLM103 might be due having enough experience with other Nuemann's that I do really like . . . while possible via double blind A/B it would be possible to evaluate independently . . . just never done it . . . it is not a mic on to-do (buy) list

While presence is probably not exactly the right term (since for 'old school' guys presence lurked in the 4-6 kHz range) the TLM103 presence boost is fairly broad & smooth, from below 5 kHz, peaking at 4 dB about 6 kHz and staying flat (@ +4 dB) to well above 10K kHz. This contributes to its reputation for brightness (or brittle depending on taste) And if I remember correctly there are no emphasis (de-emphasis) circuits at the low end

KSM44 frequency response will vary depending on pattern selected (and of course depending on roll off filter) with Cardioid and w/o filter I find, subjectively, it has a slightly more detailed low end then TLM103. It's presence bump is lower, roughly 3 dB, shallower, starting higher peaking about 6 kHz and falling off fairly rapidly so that it's flat by 8 kHz with a 2nd smaller boost @ 10k kHz

Omni pattern (where I particularly like KSM44) is essentially flat from 50 Hz to 10k with if anything a tiny presence dip (which for me does not hurt detail of 4 kHz range, but just sort of presents an opposite 'picture' from what most mnfc try to market as modern)

as I said very different mics

Bisson820 is offline Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oretez View Post
    far from insider

if looking for brief verbal comparison . . . very different mics

KSM44 has been discontinued (replaced by 'a' and have no idea of what the changes entail) but nos is probably still readily available it is multipolar vs. TLM103 being cardioid

both mics lack transformers both can be considered to be solid workhorse mics not absolutely iconically stellar on anything but usable on almost everything

Each has its fans, each detractors. I'm not particularly fond of the TLM103 where as I find the KSM44 (cardioid little brother) to be, cost/benefit-wise, solid additions to mic locker

my subjective reaction to TLM103 might be due having enough experience with other Nuemann's that I do really like . . . while possible via double blind A/B it would be possible to evaluate independently . . . just never done it . . . it is not a mic on to-do (buy) list

While presence is probably not exactly the right term (since for 'old school' guys presence lurked in the 4-6 kHz range) the TLM103 presence boost is fairly broad & smooth, from below 5 kHz, peaking at 4 dB about 6 kHz and staying flat (@ +4 dB) to well above 10K kHz. This contributes to its reputation for brightness (or brittle depending on taste) And if I remember correctly there are no emphasis (de-emphasis) circuits at the low end

KSM44 frequency response will vary depending on pattern selected (and of course depending on roll off filter) with Cardioid and w/o filter I find, subjectively, it has a slightly more detailed low end then TLM103. It's presence bump is lower, roughly 3 dB, shallower, starting higher peaking about 6 kHz and falling off fairly rapidly so that it's flat by 8 kHz with a 2nd smaller boost @ 10k kHz

Omni pattern (where I particularly like KSM44) is essentially flat from 50 Hz to 10k with if anything a tiny presence dip (which for me does not hurt detail of 4 kHz range, but just sort of presents an opposite 'picture' from what most mnfc try to market as modern)

as I said very different mics
    Thank you very much. you seem to be quite knowledgeable.

My situation, though probably obvious, is im looking for a vocal mic... id like to spend around the 800 range... the tlm is the absolute highest i could go.

any recommendations on mics that i should seriously consider?

Thank you very much. you seem to be quite knowledgeable.

My situation, though probably obvious, is im looking for a vocal mic... id like to spend around the 800 range... the tlm is the absolute highest i could go.

any recommendations on mics that i should seriously consider?
    Purchase a RODE NT1A then ship it off to Michael Joly for a full modification ....All said and done about $600.-to- $700. and the finished product will be well worth the investment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information