Just began, yet I can't start, and I'm almost done

Catapult

Captivating title huh?
Ok forreal though. I'm being driven nuts. I can't watch tutorials/listen to voices explain things... I just don't learn that way.
I'm almost done trying with this, it's testing me and it seems to simple and n00by but it is killing me.
I can't get my set up to work. I think I'm missing pieces but I don't know what I'm missing.
Please, somebody, anybody, you've got to help me.
I have a Focusrite ISA One and a 2i2.
I don't know how to connect the ISA to the 2i2 properly and I don't know which one I connect directly to the mic, which holes to use, etc etc.
These instruction manuals are too much for me and they're overwhelming. Especially when I think one of you can help me in a few sentences....
PLEASE. I have:
ISA connected to the wall(don't know how to connect to the 2i2, think I'm missing something.)
The 2i2 connected to the Mic, I think I have that right... but with the 2i2 connected to computer via USB and the mic, the quality is not great WHICH IS WHY I BOUGHT THE ISA ONE!!!!
With the ISA, do I change the connections or do I just simply connect the ISA to the 2i2...?
Honestly if I can just get one solid answer in simple easy as cake terms I would be so eternally grateful...
I can't afford a more expensive, well, anything. But if I need a couple cables or something I can shell out 20 bucks...
I don't know if it goes ISA to 2i2 to mic or whatever the order is... Also, which one connects to the computer?!?! So many questions.
Hopefully I made this dramatic because I am completely in over my head.
Thank you!

Sounds like what you want is one more xlr cable.

I'm not familiar with the isa one in particular but based on what I see in pictures: plug the mic into the "mic i/p" on the isa. Plug the "main o/p" of the isa into the "in" of the 2i2 (either one), and turn the 2i2 gain all the way down. Everything else stays the same.

Basically what you're doing is replacing the internal preamp of the 2i2 with the isa one. You still plug into the 2i2 preamp but with the gain at 0 it's pretty much a line in so the 2i2 preamp is bypassed. (Technically not true bypass but close enough.)

i have everything set up the way u say to have it set up... and still nothing. the lights on the ISA One are working, but the rings around the gain knobs on the 2i2 only come on for a blink when I plug the xlr into them. could that be the issue? I don't see how, because when I don't use the ISA One, it works albeit low quality.
In troubleshooting I don't know how to tell what the exact problem is....
Ive got the ISA mic port connected to the mic, and the ISA Main O/P connected to the 2i2 right above where it says "Scarlett 2i2".
I also know my preferences are correct on garageband and on my mac. Any other suggestions?

Do you see the meter moving on the isa when you talk into the mic? It should bounce up and down as you talk. If not, try turning up the gain on the isa.

Also, turn on the phantom/48v power on the isa if you haven't. In case your mic is a condenser.

depending on the mic, make sure the switch is on etc. Also check your manual pages 13-17 with various methods to use the preamp with your interfaces. check to make sure the insert switch is NOT on as that is used for the send/return and will stop your signal output without a outboard effect hooked up.

Turn gain and output level all the way down, then slowly turn both up to 25% while listening to your monitor out or headphone. Remember to turn headphones down to zero and slowly turn up to 25% until you hear the signal.

cabling is okay assuming your cables are good. check with a DMM for continuity etc. read the manual and watch the videos and last case and worst case, make sure its not DOA as a lot were or they died soon after due to shotty components inside.

WTF! Did you buy an ISA One if you know jack?
In fact you don't NEED the pre amp (lovely tho' they be!) First check is to connect the 2i2 to the PC and try playing out a sound. In the limit there will be 'sample' music in 'My Music' in Windows. That should be heard in your headphones FROM the H/P jack on the 2i2.

Now plug in the mic and check you have the level indicators (an LED ring around the control?) moving as you waffle. NOW it gets technical!

You need to use a 'Digital Workstation'. This is a piece of software that allows recording and playback of sounds from an interface. If you have noting else, download 'Audacity' (from ninite .com Just do as it tells you, very safe) .

MORE technicalities! In Audacity hit 'Edit' then 'Preferences' and setup for the 2i2. Start a new track and have a blow.

Once you have the F'rite, mic, DAW, and cans working you can THEN think about using the ISA 1 but you will need an balanced XLR to Jack cable because you will overload the 2i2's input with the line output of the pre amp.... But quite honestly you do not need the pre amp at this stage of your learning.

And sorry but! No good putting back of hand to forehead and saying "this is all too much for me"! YOU chose to get into a VERY technical hobby (20 yrs ago you would have had to MAKE much of your kit unless you were a Beatle) . People learn to read, second languages, drive cars (and a few, a very few even learned to program a VCR!) so, it CAN be done if you apply yourself.

Dave.

Back